Talk

Advanced search

Finding out sex of baby?

(10 Posts)
Louisa111 Fri 15-Jul-16 07:59:20

I'm 5 months and we didn't find out with our first but we would like to this time. I have a tilted uterus which can make it harder but was anyone disappointed and not been able to find out?? How does it work... Do they give you a percentage of how accurate they are?? Or just don't tell you?

MrsJoeyMaynard Fri 15-Jul-16 08:15:48

We couldn't find out the sex with DS1 because his legs were tightly crossed at the 20week scan and the sonographer couldn't get him to open his legs. We were told that they had absolutely no idea whether baby was a boy or a girl.

DS2 was in the best position possible for seeing his sex - his bits were practically staring everyone in the face when the sonographer started the scan. The sonographer said that you can never be 100% sure of the sex but that they'd be very surprised if he wasn't a boy.

youcantakethegirloutof Fri 15-Jul-16 08:27:26

Just to say our trust recently stopped telling you the gender at the 20wk scan & you have to pay separately - I understand more & more trusts are doing this now so may be worth checking!

smellsofelderberries Fri 15-Jul-16 10:32:44

Our sonographer asked if we had a feeling either way, I said 'boy, and we've been calling him (name) while he's inside' and she said 'you might have to think of a different name because I haven't seen any boy bits the whole scan!' I've heard that some trusts won't tell you the sex now so do keep that in mind

missybct Fri 15-Jul-16 10:39:52

We had a gender scan at 16 weeks (GP's paid) - I have a tilted uterus but had no problems determining that he was a little boy, which was then verified by the sonographer at my routine 20 week scan.

They never give you 100% guarantee, they just can't - not even the private scans which they spend longer on. The only 100% way is when they arrive grin - I've not known anybody to get a percentage likelihood, just a "we think it's a boy/girl" and if they have literally no idea (as in PP said, her baby had his legs crossed) they will say "We have no idea" - a private sonographer may offer a free follow up scan to see but depends on company terms and conditions.

Congratulations btw flowers

NoCapes Fri 15-Jul-16 10:46:43

DS1 had his legs firmly crossed, knees to his chest, was upside down and had his back to us
I went back 3 days in a row because they couldn't get all the measurements they needed and each time he was in the same position - he was giving away nothing!

KP86 Fri 15-Jul-16 10:49:25

Is not telling you the sex a way of getting more money from parents to be by making them pay the trust for a separate scan? That's dodgy!

Buttwing Fri 15-Jul-16 10:55:45

I only found out with dc4 and I found out at about 27 weeks when I had a growth scan. She said definitely a boy here's his penis and testicles and showed me. There was no mistaking what it was!

Kp no unfortunately it's because there was a small number of cases in different cultures where baby girls were aborted after parents were told the sex, so some trusts no longer tell parents. Very sadsad

rainbowstardrops Fri 15-Jul-16 11:03:12

Apparently I have a retroverted uterus.
I had DS when you could pay for a video of the scan grin I worked for two GPs at the time and they could tell by the scan video that he was a boy.
When we had DD my mum was dying of cancer and we didn't know if she'd still be here when the baby was born so we found out and they immediately said it was a girl, so it hasn't caused me any problems finding out smile

ulab Fri 15-Jul-16 11:21:04

When I had my scan at 20 weeks they couldn't see the sex or take measurements as baby was flipping back and forward like crazy. I've been told to go for a walk for 20 min and come back. When I came back and had the scan done again even I was able to see on the screen that he was a boy. I guess it depends a lot on hospital and person doing scan and if they have time to make baby move into right position.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now