Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Am I a drama queen or should I call GP/midwife?

(24 Posts)
Captainkanga Thu 14-Jul-16 15:36:27

I've had a tricky pregnancy so am cautious about coming off as hypercondriac/ drama queen/ only person in the world who's ever been pregnant.

I've had a hideous migraine all week to the point I've taken a couple of days of leave from work. Last night I had blurry vision and vomited a couple of times. Today I haven't thrown up but i am nauseous and my migraine is truly awful.

Is this worth notifying someone about? My husband thinks so but I really don't want to waste my midwife or gp's time!

Dixiechick17 Thu 14-Jul-16 15:39:34

Yes it is worth getting your blood pressure checked, even if you have suffered with migraines in the past.

Wait4nothing Thu 14-Jul-16 15:40:03

I don't think your wasting anyone's time if your truly worried about it. Maybe a call to 111 and see what they suggest if you really don't want to use the resources. I'm sure your midwife would be happy to take a call - even if just to put your mind at ease.

CelticPromise Thu 14-Jul-16 15:41:16

Yes call your midwife. She will likely want to check your BP.

MadameJosephine Thu 14-Jul-16 15:42:17

I'm a midwife and I agree with your DH, you need to be seen. Ring your midwife or hospital so someone can check your blood pressure

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 14-Jul-16 15:42:18

Definitely call your MW, migraines can be a sign of preeclampsia I thought.

NotSureYet Thu 14-Jul-16 15:42:42

Yes, definitely call your midwife straight away. I don't want to cause unnecessary alarm but severe headaches and blurred vision can be serious. How far along are you? You either need to call your midwife or Triage at the hospital you're registered at depending on how far along you are.

Don't leave it. Tell someone straight away. Hope all goes well for you xxxflowers

Ilovetea82 Thu 14-Jul-16 15:44:30

Yes get it checked, has your local maternity ward got a day unit? They might be worth calling.
Hope it's better soon

Cantplaywontplay Thu 14-Jul-16 15:47:19

Definitely call.

ItsaTenfromDen Thu 14-Jul-16 15:49:33

not a drama llama, give them a ring

EverythingWillBeFine Thu 14-Jul-16 16:00:36

Yes please ring.
You are not being over the top at all.

Captainkanga Thu 14-Jul-16 16:02:01

Thank you everyone!

I'm 23 weeks. Just spoke to the on call midwife and she's advised that it's too early to be pre eclampsia but to get checked at the GP's, who've told me to come straight down.

Hopefully I'm just being silly!

Kalispera Thu 14-Jul-16 16:03:45

I don't think too early for pre-eclampsia is a thing? I think it can begin after 20 weeks, or that's what I was told anyway (had it twice).

Good luck smile

Captainkanga Thu 14-Jul-16 16:09:19

Oh god really Kalispera? I have no idea what she was on about then!

Kalispera Thu 14-Jul-16 16:10:14

I'm sure it'll be fine if you're getting your BP checked anyway - that's the main thing.

CelticPromise Thu 14-Jul-16 16:11:38

It is not too early. Take a wee sample with you. Hope all is well.

Cantplaywontplay Thu 14-Jul-16 17:54:44

NHS website says "usually second half of pregnancy (from around 20 weeks)"

Captainkanga Thu 14-Jul-16 18:54:53

Thank you everyone.

Blood pressure is fine thank god! Turns out I have a viral infection and am indeed a drama queen blush

CelticPromise Thu 14-Jul-16 19:13:57

Not at all! Glad you got checked out smile

moobeana Thu 14-Jul-16 20:30:56

Never, ever, think twice about checking something out when pregnant.
My midwife always said to us 'any doubt, check it out'.
She has been around a long long time and I know a few people who are sure that advice has saved their babies.
I have never known a midwife be annoyed about checking a suspicious symptom. And I was a nervous hypochondriac at points in all my pregnancies!

Please don't hesitate if anything else ever feels 'off'.

I'm glad your ok and getting help now though.

Kalispera Thu 14-Jul-16 21:39:21

Glad you're ok. You don't fuck around when you're pregnant, it's pretty damn important! grin

Kalispera Thu 14-Jul-16 21:39:30

Glad you're ok. You don't fuck around when you're pregnant, it's pretty damn important! grin

Butterchunks Fri 15-Jul-16 00:01:28

Don't ever think twice about going in if you feel something's wrong. I was only a few days away from my due date but had a bad feeling something wasn't right, had been feeling craps for a few days (but at 39 weeks who does), and was noticing some reduced movement. Popped into hospital at 9pm on a Friday night, told my houseguests we've be back in an hour or so. Turned out I was very seriously ill with preeclampsia, baby delivered within 12h of admission by emcs. I was told it was a very good job I had come in when I did.

If in doubt get checked out. It most like will be nothing, it could save yours and your baby's life.

Butterchunks Fri 15-Jul-16 00:02:19

Glad you are well and long may continue

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now