Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nuchal translucency 5mm

(5 Posts)
JJ18 Thu 14-Jul-16 11:52:48

Hi
Although I'm not a mum being male I'm hoping for some advice from people that are going through the same. Me and my beautiful partner had our dating scan recently the feeling we had seeing our little one on screen was amazing until the mood changed in the room some what. We got the devistating news that the measurement of fluid on the back of the neck was reading 5mm at 13 weeks, I've been reading everybody's stories to get me through the next few days until we have another scan and the blood tests are back! This is our first baby and you just want everything to be perfect I'm trying to stay strong for my partner but the waiting and the unknown is playing on my mind!!! To all the mums out there that have been in this position before what is the best thing you're husband/boyfriend can do at this time I just want to make this time as reassuring as possible for my partner

Thanks

hopeful31yrs Thu 14-Jul-16 16:19:59

You sound great. I've been through this recently and what I didn't want to be told continuously was "it'll be ok". I knew the odds were in our favour even if they were awful odds (1:5 risk) but it didn't help. I felt alone as being the carrier of the baby even though my DH was brilliant it was easier for him to push the problem out of his mind even for a few minutes - however I was already experiencing fetal movements and it was a torment as the usual bond was not there.

I found it useful to talk through things with DH - the practical stuff. What happens if? What will we do? All those q's I needed answering and I needed to know that we were on the same page with every eventuality. This gave me comfort knowing that I could 'deal' with everything that could be thrown at us and was the best for our family.

Thankfully our nifty came back fine and we've had 2 reassuring scans with fetal medicine. Still awaiting 1 more scan. It's been stressful - without a doubt the worst few weeks of our life! I'm sorry you're going through this and hope that things turn out the same. I actually also got a lot of comfort from reading others account of having a high NT reading - it's not as bleak as you're told - far from it.

XXXX

Evergreen17 Thu 14-Jul-16 18:25:54

No advice whatsoever but I am pregnant with our first and reading your post made me cry.

You sound like an amazing partner smile

JJ18 Thu 14-Jul-16 18:58:47

Thank you for your kind words it gives me not only hope but faith in humanity when you get support of total strangers! I'm really trying to hold it together not only for her but for me as well. She knows I'm upset but I feel I need to be her rock at this moment.

We have a scan booked in for Monday where hopefully our blood tests will be back from Sheffield uni
and we have some more info on what's happening.

My world got turned upside down with in a matter of minuets but knowing nether of us are going through this on our own is comforting

Thank you for your words

hopeful31yrs Thu 14-Jul-16 20:24:43

Of course you're allowed to be upset - show her you are - it's your child as well and she may well be doing the same to a degree for you. No one has to be strong all the time. It's things like these that can make us stronger as couples during and after the event. Whatever the outcome you have to be each other's rock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now