Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Please can some sensible mums-to-be tell me I've done the right thing?

(24 Posts)
freakedoutlady Wed 13-Jul-16 17:11:12

37 weeks and let scare stories delay me having the whooping cough jab until today.

Nurse convinced me to have it and she was talking sense, I know she was.

Still. I keep pouring over this thread...

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/advice-support-40/miscarriage-stillbirth-loss-child-boards-548/miscarriage-stillbirth-loss-child-49/885911-stillbirth-tdap-whooping-cough-vaccine-32-weeks-all.html

And I'm so scared that I will loose my baby.

I also wish I'd done it a few weeks earlier so any risk will be balanced with my baby getting all the anti-bodies - which he wont get now if he's born earlier than 40 weeks.

I'm going crazy. Please come and make me feel better.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Wed 13-Jul-16 17:17:41

Please stop looking at things like that.

The lady on that thread has suffered the worst kind of loss and is, understandably, looking for a reason. In her mind she has found one.

It isn't backed up by any doctor as far as I read, it's simply her opinion.

Step away from Google and enjoy your last few weeks of pregnancy before your snuggly little baby arrives flowers

NeedACleverNN Wed 13-Jul-16 17:19:03

I had the whooping cough with both of my children and went on to have two healthy babies.

Like Elsa said, that poor woman lost her baby and is looking for any reason why. The vaccine is very unlikely to have caused it.

Please try and relax

ElspethFlashman Wed 13-Jul-16 17:26:09

That thread is very very sad but none of them actually have anything other than a "feeling" that its what contributed.

Pregnancies fail for a myriad of reasons but vaccinations have become such a talking point since that false autism report (which several of them seem to believe) that you can see how someone desperately looking for a cause might latch onto the fact they had been vaccinated.

The awful thing is, it makes them blame themselves which is heartbreaking.

Wheels1986 Wed 13-Jul-16 17:30:21

Thousands of women have that vaccine whilst pregnant. I've never heard of anything linking it with still births, it would seem just lots of women who have lost babies want something to blame it on due to grief, anger etc (perfectly understandable). She hasn't said where she found the information she was basing her worries on, and that was also over 2 years ago. Babies were sadly still born before the jab was widely available and there was nothing to 'blame' that on, it iseems unfortunately just oneed of those things in most cases. I honestly wouldn't worry, the risk of your baby becoming gravely ill from whooping cough is far more concerning than these tenuous links between the jab and still births. Just try to relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy x

freakedoutlady Wed 13-Jul-16 17:36:38

Thankyou. I feel like I'm going crazy. My daughter was born with a rare condition (although manageable surgery and treatment) and I think I have developed a fear of unlikely things happening.

I seem to be the only one who is worried about the vax. Which is good I suppose.

Pinkheart5915 Wed 13-Jul-16 17:48:27

The NHS website says they have no evidence the vaccine is unsafe to baby or Mum.
The thread is safe but it is all about feelings it isn't backed up by doctors or science.

I had the vaccine with my DS and I am due in August with my DD and I've had the vaccine.

Try to stop worrying OP flowers

Pinkheart5915 Wed 13-Jul-16 17:48:52

The thread is sad not safe

PotteringAlong Wed 13-Jul-16 17:50:20

No, you were absolutely right to have it. The vaccine did not cause the loss of that ladies baby. I've had it 3 times in 3 pregnancies workout a problem.

KitKat1985 Wed 13-Jul-16 17:52:17

I had it when pregnant with DD and will have it with this pregnancy. You have done the right thing. Whooping cough is an awful illness, especially in young children.

CocklesandMussels Wed 13-Jul-16 18:27:02

Agree with everything said above, grief makes people look for something to blame. I know someone who lost her six week old son to whooping cough (before the vaccine was introduced for pregnant women) . It's an awful illness and the policy of offering immunisation to pregnancy women is there for a very good reason. flowers

freakedoutlady Wed 13-Jul-16 18:39:39

Thank you so much ladies. Sad not safe is a really good description.

Drmum123 Wed 13-Jul-16 18:49:48

Hey, just to balance up your fears. I remember working when whooping cough was very bad (children's doctor)...about four years ago, if I recall. We lost a fair few babies. All less than 2 months old. And had lots of sick children too! That is what you are preventing! You have done the right thing. Good luck with baby!

mummydoc123 Wed 13-Jul-16 19:18:00

I'm a doctor. I had mine last week at 29 weeks pregnant.

Vixxfacee Wed 13-Jul-16 19:20:17

The midwife offered it to me too. I am not sure about it. I still have a long way to go anyway and will research. The midwife told me about it as if it is a given.

freakedoutlady Wed 13-Jul-16 20:17:24

Just when I calm down I get bright red blood when I wipe. Rang hospital and they said a little bit is fine but any more and I need to go in.

NeedACleverNN Wed 13-Jul-16 20:19:03

37 weeks? Bit of blood? Could be your show

Thequilltosurvive Wed 13-Jul-16 20:23:33

I had the vaccine with DS1 and am already booked in to have it in this pregnancy too. Don't worry, you'll be absolutely fine. Enjoy your last few weeks of relative calm before baby arrives smile

Thequilltosurvive Wed 13-Jul-16 20:25:00

Oooh, just read your latest post. Perhaps you won't get a few weeks before baby arrives after all!

Sophia1984 Wed 13-Jul-16 20:27:44

Sorry to hear you're bleeding on top of your anxiety freakedoutlady It sounds like it could be your 'show' or your cervix softening, so hopefully a sign that your body is doing what it needs to :-) If you are at all worried, don't hesitate to go into hospital - it's what they're there for, and they would always rather you went in than sat at home and worried x

AbbeyRoadCrossing Wed 13-Jul-16 20:31:24

It's very safe. Sadly stillbirths do happen and if by chance it's after a vaccination then women do link the two things together. But it's coincidence not a cause.

Just seen your other post. How much are you bleeding?

If you give birth now ish then the vaccine won't have had time to work - this is why they recommend 28 weeks. But don't worry as most people are sensible enough not to expose a newborn to whopping cough.

Hope all goes well OP

DocMcFanjo Wed 13-Jul-16 20:32:37

Sounds like a show to me.

Just to add another voice from another doctor here. I've seen what whooping cough can do to the very smallsad. I'm nearly 36 weeks and have had the vaccine.

freakedoutlady Wed 13-Jul-16 22:04:28

No more blood. Keep needing the loo. Not crampy but twingey.

Thanks again for your kind posts. Should of had the vax weeks ago. If he does come now I'll just have to be very vigilant with vistors. At least I'll be immune and the kids are up to date.

Do feel wierd though hmm

Wheels1986 Wed 13-Jul-16 22:25:24

Oh crikey OP, that's so bloody typical just to add to your worries! I'm sure all is fine, at 37 weeks you're classed as full term so if baby is born over the next few days then he or she will be just fine smile Just do the usual and keep and eye on movements etc. If you feel uneasy about anything then just go in and get checked over. No point worrying yourself even more, that's what the professionals are there for! Good luck! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now