Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hospital bag!

(51 Posts)
jasmin6082016 Wed 13-Jul-16 14:59:29

I'm booked in for an induction in 11 days and I'm aware it can be quite a lengthy process, also as its my first baby and I'm
Only 17 aha, so I have packed both mine and babys hospital bags but I just want to make sure I have everything

Babys-
5x vests
5x baby grows
2x knitted cardigans
10x size 2 nappies 2 different brands
1x pack of water wipes
1x cotton wool pack
1x tube of bepantham
2xdummies
1x blanket
1x swaddle
3x scratch mits
4x socks
2x hats
Comb and brush
I'm planning to breastfeed but have packed the aptamil starter pack which has 6 bottles of milk, just incase
Car seat

Me-
20 maternity pads
10 disposable tenar pants
6 pairs of normal pants
4 pairs of socks
4 nursing bras
4 pairs of pj bottoms
1 pair of joggers
6 baggy tshirts
2 jumpers
Flip flops
Slippers
Travel shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, toothpaste, body moisturiser, face cream
Toothbrush
2 nipple cream tubes
2 boxes of breastpads
Lip balm
Phone and charger
Snacks and drinks (will do night before)
Bottom wipes
Face wipes
Fan
Tens machine/heat pad
Maternity pillow
Flannel
Notes

So is there anything else I should take or that I need?

Thankyou grin

LotsOfDots Wed 13-Jul-16 18:58:47

Sound a very thorough list. I took a couple of straws for sipping water with DD2 as I spilt it all down myself with the first. I also took a spray bottle of water for cooling off my face.

jasmin6082016 Wed 13-Jul-16 19:11:13

Okay great Thankyou! smile

orangebird69 Wed 13-Jul-16 19:13:42

Why above you got size 2 nappies? Unless you're expecting a complete whopper I suspect they'll be way too big for your baby.

Flossiesmummy Wed 13-Jul-16 19:15:29

Agree with PP about size two nappies. I had a 9lb 10oz baby last week and size one is plenty big enough.

IamChipmunk Wed 13-Jul-16 19:18:02

Size 2 nappies could be far too big. I'd take size 1.
Also if you r planning to bf then personally I'd not bother with the dummies.
You probably don't need so many bras or tshirts for you.
One nipple cream and one box of breast pads will be more than enough.
You don't need comb and brush for baby or socks if they r wearing baby grows

A towel for you might be useful. Hospital might provide but having one means you don't have to wait to ask someone.

IamChipmunk Wed 13-Jul-16 19:18:32

Cross posted!

PotteringAlong Wed 13-Jul-16 19:19:30

Size 1 nappies and you need a lot more than 10.

MiddleClassProblem Wed 13-Jul-16 19:21:36

Def take a towel and not sure if you included with your drinks but some isotonic sports drinks in case you have an epidural as you can't eat after having it until it has worn off. Also if you have a tablet, you might want to put some stuff to watch on there x

MiddleClassProblem Wed 13-Jul-16 19:21:55

And head phones for the ward after x

Kpo58 Wed 13-Jul-16 20:47:32

If your baby grows have inbuilt scratch mitts, then you won't need separate ones.

Maybe bring a second baby blanket incase of a nappy leak or projectile wee.

If you already have a travel changing mat, it could be useful as you are likely to change the nappy in your bed or their crib.

jasmin6082016 Wed 13-Jul-16 21:24:37

Thankyou for all the responses! They have told me it's a good think he's coming 2 weeks early as he's pretty big, they also said size 2 would be fine as there 7-20lbs? But they provide size 1 if not but think I'm going to buy them, yeah I have a towel packed but missed it off my list

Headphones are always in my phone smile

They told me to bring socks so that's why
They also told me by scans he has a lot of hair so I wanted to bring a little baby brush

Only 2 of my babygrows have scratch mits attached

And the reason I packed so many shirts is because they also told me to expect to stay inconfused

Thankyou everyone. smile

jasmin6082016 Wed 13-Jul-16 21:25:56

Also can't have an epidural due to medical reasons smile and by drinks I meant water and lucozade so that's fine smile

I don't have a tablet but I have my phone that's fine smile

rufus5 Wed 13-Jul-16 21:29:27

Definitely more nappies - you'll change baby everytime at a feed, so can be 6-8 times daily at the start. Take a whole pack and get someone to being you more if you are kept in for a few days.

rufus5 Wed 13-Jul-16 21:32:08

You appear to be very calm and well prepared - I hope everything goes well for you! You'll soon be cuddling your little one, exciting times!

jasmin6082016 Wed 13-Jul-16 21:36:47

If I get worked up I panic so best not to think about it smile and ok will put a whole pack in smile

FizzyFeet Wed 13-Jul-16 21:45:01

Looks like a great list! I'd add:

Deodorant
Dressing gown
Hand cream (or plan to use your body cream as one)
Mini antibacterial hand gel
Small notepad and pen (somehow easier than typing notes on phone/ easier to hand to someone else e.g. for a shopping list)
A big dark coloured towel

Good luck!

jasmin6082016 Wed 13-Jul-16 21:45:58

Oh yes perfect Thankyou!

FizzyFeet Wed 13-Jul-16 21:52:22

Oh and two more:

Muslin squares (4 or 5)
Empty carrier bag or two (for e.g. Putting dirty washing in)

jasmin6082016 Wed 13-Jul-16 23:13:32

Oh yeah I have packed 4 muslins just forgot to put it on the list smile

orangebird69 Thu 14-Jul-16 07:17:14

I know that the weight guidance for size 1 and 2 nappies overlap but honestly, the difference is massive. Get some size 1s. Lucky you if your hospital provides nappies!

Toocold Thu 14-Jul-16 07:22:33

I wish I had been as organised as you at 17! , I didn't have a baby then but just doing something would have been good. I think you are doing brilliantly and have looked at your list to remind me to get some bits nearer the time, so thank you.

Wheels1986 Thu 14-Jul-16 07:24:26

Hospital wards tend to be kepthe quite hot, you might want to.consider flip flops instead of/as well as slippers and swap some of your baggy tshirts out for vest tops (easier to bf in a vest than a tshirt too). I'd also recommend a bottle of witch hazel, it's really soothing after labour if you end up with stitches, pop some on a pad for a bit of relief from any pain you get! Only a few quid a bottle in Boots x

moosechops Thu 14-Jul-16 08:00:37

I definitely echo what everyone is saying about size 2 nappies being too big. Size 1 were massive on my DD and she was a 9 pounder. Also lots more than 10 if your expecting a sleepover.

Carrier bag for dirty stuff is a good one too

Good luck! smile

thecatsarecrazy Thu 14-Jul-16 08:05:36

No size 2 will definitely be to big. Larger baby or not. Mine was 8lb4 and newborn nappies were plenty big enough

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now