Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

10-12 week scan! What have you gone for?

(12 Posts)
mommabtobe Tue 12-Jul-16 07:49:16

Hi All,

So I'm 7 weeks pregnant with my first pregnancy and I met my midwife last week! She gave me 2 options of scans. 1 is where they test to see if your baby is at high risk of Downs & Edwards Syndrome and it works the same as a normal dating scan but they just take blood and measure the baby's neck and then the other option was just a normal dating scan!

I'm just curious to what everyone has decided to go for?

We decided to go for the test to see if we're high risk but I'm a bit of a worrier & it feels like ages away!! hmm

Xx

DoubleCarrick Tue 12-Jul-16 07:51:33

We had the tests. We figured that forewarned is forearmed. Last pregnancy we decided not to have any tests

mommabtobe Tue 12-Jul-16 07:53:51

Yeah I hear loads don't have it on their second!! I found out I was pregnant literally the week after we conceived (I'd used an ovulation app) and it feels like it's taken ages just to get to 7weeks!! 12 weeks seems a lifetime away haha!! I'm so impatient X

PotteringAlong Tue 12-Jul-16 07:55:10

This is my third pregnancy. My scan this time will be at 13+3. I can't remember when the other 2 were!

PotteringAlong Tue 12-Jul-16 07:56:10

But I've had the quad tests (the blood tests) the last 2 times and will have it this time.

PhloppysFonics Tue 12-Jul-16 08:08:11

I didn't with my first but did with my second.

The letter comes through a week or two later. Assume you are low risk until told otherwise, there's no need to worry in advance.

divadee Tue 12-Jul-16 11:48:31

I am having all the tests. We both wanted that information going forward. And if it's high risk we will have an amnio to confirm. It's personal choice on how you feel you could cope.

pitstop16 Tue 12-Jul-16 11:58:27

With my two pregnancies we didn't have the downs test. We discussed it and we wouldn't do anything about it even if the baby did have downs so we we decided we would worry too much if the result came back as high risk!

If you are high risk you then have to decide whether to have the amniotic test which can let you know if the baby definitely does have downs or not, which carries a risk of miscarriage. We did not want to risk that so still would have had to wait until the 20 week scan to find out anything for sure so for us the tests were not worth it.

Hope this helps!x

LastOneDancing Tue 12-Jul-16 12:19:22

I had the extra screening for both of my boys and I would have taken the harmony test had it been high risk. I'd have pondered on it throughout the whole 40 weeks if I hadn't had some reassurance that there were no indicators of serious conditions (and DH would have worried himself sick because he's like that).

If our baby had had Downs Syndrome I'd have wanted to do lots of research and find groups etc while pregnant so I could be as prepared for the challenges that lay ahead and give our child the best start I could.

The head in the sand approach is just not for me!

PotteringAlong Tue 12-Jul-16 12:38:35

It's also worth mentioning that even if you're low risk that's no guarantee - a friend got at 1:10,000 result, no sign at the 20 week scan and her baby was born with Down's syndrome. If you really want to know you need more conclusive testing.

milkyface Tue 12-Jul-16 12:45:21

We had the tests done. We wouldn't have terminated if we had a high chance of Down's syndrome or anything else, but I wanted to be prepared for any eventuality.

I think if you get a high 'chance' they will offer you further testing should you want it.

mommabtobe Wed 13-Jul-16 11:53:05

Aww thanks guys!! Guess it's just personal preference isn't it. Just booked in and I'll be just over 13 weeks preggo when I go. Fingers crossed all looks ok! Although I totally know there's never a guarantee!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now