Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Getting worried about telling work

(5 Posts)
ThePartyArtist Mon 11-Jul-16 20:44:14

I'm 5wks pregnant and getting anxious about telling work. I am in a temporary contract and my boss and HR have both verbally promised me it's going permanent from the end of September (by which time I'll be 16W). I'm afraid to tell them I'm pregnant before then incase they decide not to give me the permanent contract - I just feel so vulnerable in this temporary one, like they could just say 'oh sorry things have changed, that permanent contract's no longer available'. But also - as this is my first - I don't know if I am likely to be showing by then! And also there are some big projects coming up at work for pretty much the whole time I'll be on maternity leave - so it'd be helpful if they had more notice, rather than less, that I am going off in March. I am just a bit afraid it's not going to go down well, especially if I wait longer than the usual 12 weeks. I also feel like they might be annoyed if I wait till the permanent contract's in the bag and then straight away announce I'm pregnant - DH says maybe wait a bit longer so it doesn't look like I was just waiting for the contract, but I sort of feel like time will be of the essence by then.

Lou2711 Mon 11-Jul-16 20:49:17

Congratulations star

You don't legally have to tell them until 25 weeks, not everyone tells at 12 weeks, many wait until the 20 week scan to ensure everything is ok with the baby, good luck smile

ThePartyArtist Mon 11-Jul-16 20:56:57

Thank you. I just assumed everyone says at 12 weeks. What do you find out at 20 week scan? Sorry I am new to all this!

RaeSkywalker Mon 11-Jul-16 20:59:48

20 week scan is the anomaly scan. They look in detail at the organs, etc. I (think) that legally, you don't have to tell your employer until you're 20 weeks.

Congratulations!

RaeSkywalker Mon 11-Jul-16 21:00:32

^ sorry, typo- you don't have to tell them until 25 weeks. D'oh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now