Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anxiety and insomnia

(6 Posts)
Lizziedoll Mon 11-Jul-16 17:16:11

Hi everyone I'm 5 weeks pregnant with my first child and although this was planned and I'm delighted, I've been really suffering with insomnia, I'm not sure if this is a symptom of pregnancy or just anxiety (I am naturally very anxious and am on Citalopram for this). Either way I was wondering if anyone else was suffering or could offer me some tips? Many thanks flowers

MonkeyPoozzled76 Tue 12-Jul-16 01:30:02

Hey Lizzie, I'm certainly with you on both the insomnia and anxiety, hence me posting at this ungodly hour! Planned first pregnancy for me too.

I've suffered from anxiety for years, used to have awful panic atacks, completely debilitating, I'm much better now but still prone to be anxious and worry about everything so I have a particularly busy head right now. I tend to find I either can't get to sleep or wake up at 5 am.

I don't have any real advice but I am making good use of afternoon naps to catch up and finding it really great to read the 'March 2017' thread on here to see how everyone else is feeling, I think this is particularly helpful as only my DH knows so far and he doesn't really grasp the enormity of this let alone the weird foof twinges and so on!

Hope you manage to get some sleep tonight..... smile

Lizziedoll Tue 12-Jul-16 05:20:06

Thanks monkey, I did actually get some sleep last night, about 7 hours! smile
I'm with you re: anxiety although taking citalopram really does help with that and is safe to use in pregnancy. Or you could try a more natural alternative such as aromatherapy, or rescue remedy products?
I hope you got some rest. Thanks for using the word "foof", made my day grin xxx

Rockelburger Tue 12-Jul-16 05:25:44

Definitely nap during the day, I used to go in disabled toilet at work sit on toilet and put head on sink to have a bit of shut eye wink

I'm also on citalopram, great for anxiety

Lizziedoll Tue 12-Jul-16 05:36:13

rockelburger it's comforting to know other mums to be are also taking citalopram! What dosage are you on? And thanks for the tip! I think I'll have a little nap at work today grin

Rockelburger Sat 16-Jul-16 12:41:03

Lizziedoll, I'm on 10 mg now but was on 20mg at beginning of pregnancy.

I was under the top maternity consultant as I was at risk of pre eclampsia and he said not to worry about it at all. All studies show it causes no harm to baby and I can confirm its true as u now have a lovely healthy happy 8 week old baby.

The gp told me it would cause more harm to stop as I would the man be anxious and when stressed we produce a hormone that the baby can feel or sir thing like that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now