Talk

Advanced search

Dating a pregnancy - how does it work?

(12 Posts)
ScottyAl Mon 11-Jul-16 12:57:54

I've just found out I'm pregnant after a few weeks of suspecting as much. I've booked a GP appointment for tomorrow as I'm clueless as to what happens next and what I should/shouldn't be doing!! I know they're going to ask me for the date of my last period but I really don't know the answer. It's (stupidly, it would seem!) not something I have ever kept an eye on. I know it's usually 21 days from the end of one period to the beginning of next and can always tell a few days before my period starts so I've just never kept dates. The best I can do is this: I know I definitely haven't had a period since the last weekend in May. I was away that weekend and expecting a period anytime as I took sanitary protection with me. After this I had some very light spotting after sex the weekend of 11th June but this lasted less than a day. My question is, given that I've been a bit disorganised in my 'period-watch', how will they provide an estimated due date??

CakeAndChocolate Mon 11-Jul-16 13:02:30

The GP will make a "best guess" on the info you have and will most likely refer you for an early scan. Baby will be measured and dated accordingly. They date all pregnancies officially at the 12 week scan using this method, regardless of period dates, so once you reach that point you'll be in the same boat as everyone else anyway.
Hope everything goes ok OP.

ScottyAl Mon 11-Jul-16 13:26:29

Thanks, CakeAndChocolate. I'm expecting a waggy-finger tomorrow for being so chaotic! I can't believe how hard it is to find such basic information online. All I've done since my positive result is Google!

CakeAndChocolate Mon 11-Jul-16 14:11:07

I hope the GP is kind, lots and lots of people are unsure of dates for various reasons, you have no need to feel stupid or be "told off"

WhoGivesAFlying Mon 11-Jul-16 14:16:59

I wouldn't know....I'm sure they are use to it. I had a scab to determine the date. Even if you did know they still date it by the scan X

SuePerkins Mon 11-Jul-16 14:36:28

Don't worry! When I was first pregnant with my DC I had no idea of dates either, we hadn't been trying and had no idea when I might have conceived. GP was totally unperturbed by it. It just means you'll have to wait for your scan for an accurate date is all. Good luck!

ScottyAl Tue 12-Jul-16 12:30:18

Thanks for all your responses and reassurances that this is a commonish scenario! Appointment at 4.30 today so hopefully will have a better idea of what's what then. Also hoping it might all seem a bit more real after seeing the GP...currently just feel tired and sick, not necessarily pregnant!!

ScottyAl Wed 13-Jul-16 14:41:17

Doctor was lovely and helpful and no waggy fingers! From the info I gave she has given me a very rough estimate of 10+1 which is way further along than I was expecting! I've been booked in for a dating scan tomorrow after calling the midwife (couldn't get a booking appointment for another 4 weeks!) so it will definitely all be real by lunchtime tomorrow!!! Not sure I believe I'm so far along and am still convinced they're going to find nothing and send me packing, despite Clearblue tests showing as 3+ weeks and no periods for at least 6 weeks. Wish me luck!

KP86 Wed 13-Jul-16 14:47:14

You are dated from the beginning of your last period, assuming a four week cycle. So for you, since you only have three week cycles, you would have already been 'one' week when you had your last period in May.

The spotting in June may have been implantation bleeding, which for a normal cycle is usually around three to four weeks in.

Good luck tomorrow! Seeing your baby on screen is magnificent.

CakeAndChocolate Thu 14-Jul-16 14:32:51

Hi OP, hope your scan went well, how far along did they say you are?

ScottyAl Thu 14-Jul-16 14:46:59

Hi CakeAndChocolate, thanks for checking in on me! Scan went very smoothly and the maternity service at the hospital seems excellent. They dated me at exactly 10 weeks and I'm booked in for my 12 week scan in 2 weeks time! I couldn't believe how clear the scan was and how much you could see so early on. The midwife pointed out little waving arms and wriggly legs which I didn't even think was possible at this stage! I think it really sunk in for my partner as well; he just sat staring at the screen saying "that's so cool" over and over again smile

CakeAndChocolate Thu 14-Jul-16 15:50:21

Amazing! Congratulations, hope it all goes smoothly from here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now