Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Getting to hospital (Whittington)

(11 Posts)
user1468179464 Sun 10-Jul-16 20:50:23

Hi
I am 34 weeks along and am slowly planning what I need to prepare for the big day! Has anyone given birth at the Whittington hospital, and did they drive there or get a taxi. We are planning on driving but are unsure about parking options.

PotteringAlong Sun 10-Jul-16 20:51:53

Not all taxi firms will take you when you're in labour.

littleducks Sun 10-Jul-16 20:53:49

Not sure about in labour but generally parking is non existant at the Whittington. Have you got spoken to MW maybe they could recommend a taxi firm?

ProjectGainsborough Sun 10-Jul-16 20:54:11

We drove. As it was weekend night time, there was free parking, but in the day, I guess you'd have to pay.

FrancesHaHa Sun 10-Jul-16 20:54:43

Addison Lee always used to - we used them. If you're thinking about going in a taxi might be worth checking.

BluePitchFork Sun 10-Jul-16 20:56:01

Not all taxi firms will take you when you're in labour.
they cannot refuse you transport (except for very rare exemptions) but you don't need to tell them the reason for needing a taxi in the first place.

BeardMinge Sun 10-Jul-16 21:02:05

Taxi. We booked a minicab, but Add Lee will probably take you. Parking up there is a total pita and dp managed to get a £60 parking ticket on day 3 because he was so sleep deprived he parked in a residential bay accidentally (paid the right amount in the machine mind you, and we appealed, but no dice).

Spraoi Sun 10-Jul-16 21:05:34

We got a taxi, can't remember which firm. Didn't mention being in labour, just put on a thick pad and went. Got one home too, midwives had a list of firms they recommended. Most of the women I met at post baby groups got taxis too.

Brackla Mon 11-Jul-16 19:05:26

I had my son there three years ago and don't live in N London any more so can't check for you, but when we looked into it, the fine for illegally parking anywhere close (including permit holder bays) was far less than the cost of parking in metered areas. Obviously not actual illegal parking, but where you're not permitted through permits, or going over pay and display. The hospital did have a car park for patients but it was v small so we didn't bank on being able to use it. When the time came, my partner drove me, dropped me at the hospital and found a space nearby. He got sent home overnight (no space for partners in the postnatal ward) so the car was parked for about 12 h. Go (or send him smile ) have a drive around the surrounding streets, check out the parking options (residents bays, normal pay and displays) and look up the council website for info on fines! Or find someone who lives nearby (anyone in your antenatal group?) and buy a parking permit off them? You could try posting in a local forum if one exists. Good luck and don't stress smile

Freddiesmother Mon 11-Jul-16 21:45:12

Ladycabs in archway are great and will never refuse you. If you tell them you are in labour they will get there extra quick!

frangipani13 Tue 12-Jul-16 08:12:21

Parking on the surrounding streets is very very scarce (used to live there) but free at weekends and between 7pm and 8am. Up in Highgate some parking in the square is free after 12. Cab would probably be a much less stressful option. For the majority of people early labour can last hours so I'm sure a cab would take you...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now