Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nappy Bin

(27 Posts)
Boomies Sun 10-Jul-16 20:26:16

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a nappy bin to save Autumn/Winter trips to the outside bin in the night with grotty nappies! Anyone recommend a particular one? Like all baby things there seem to be loads ranging in price! Thanks!

Tonytonymacaroni Sun 10-Jul-16 20:30:15

Get the Tomee Tippee one (called Sangenic, I think.) No smells whatsoever, great reviews on Amazon, it's small and unobtrusive. I love mine.

BikeRunSki Sun 10-Jul-16 20:33:30

Do you live in a house? Is there a yard or garden under the bathroom? I just dropped nappies straight out of the bathroom into the bin. I had had a Tommy Tippee nappy bin, but it stank.

Boomies Sun 10-Jul-16 20:36:24

Thanks lovelies! Bikerunski, I don't think my aim is that good, particularly at 2am when I'm sleep deprived! 😂

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 10-Jul-16 20:36:50

I had a Sangenic nappy wrapper and it stank. I actually preferred the trip outside. I really would recommend avoiding them, but if you really wanted one I'd suggest keeping it outside the back door.

SouthDownsSunshine Sun 10-Jul-16 20:38:51

We just use a normal bin and empty it every day or so. The smell isn't too bad.

Passthecake30 Sun 10-Jul-16 20:41:17

They don't smell that bad pre weaning, and after weaning you could tip the poo down the loo first.

I used washables and just used a lidded bin to keep smells out, surely that would work with disposables?

PotteringAlong Sun 10-Jul-16 20:43:06

They're not going to smell before 6 months and by the time they're 6 months old they will have stopped pooing at night. Just put it in a nappy bag and bung it in the normal bin then put it outside in the morning.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 10-Jul-16 20:46:12

I wish someone had told my fs that you don't poo after 6 monthsgrin

We were in a flat and the one we had was great,no smells.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 10-Jul-16 20:46:41

**ds

didireallysaythat Sun 10-Jul-16 20:46:45

What's wrong with a lidded bucket ? You don't need to double bag in plastic if you have a wheelie bin....

DowntonDiva Sun 10-Jul-16 20:52:56

Recommend the Tommy tippee one. We also double bag the nappy in a nappy bag before going in.

Dixiechick17 Sun 10-Jul-16 20:57:51

I like my tommee tippee bin, never had any issues with it. Particularly handy as we live in a flat, it smells when we take the lid off to empty it, but otherwise we can't smell anything.

mumhum Sun 10-Jul-16 20:58:41

Just drop it outside the back door, don't bother with a special bin.

mumhum Sun 10-Jul-16 21:22:23

Just put any dirty nappies in a nappy bag in a different room to which you/baby are sleeping and deal with it in the morning. I used to fling them down the stairs in the early hours

welshweasel Sun 10-Jul-16 22:29:17

We have two of the TT ones. One in our bedroom and one in the utility room. Never had any issues with smells.

footballwidow12 Mon 11-Jul-16 06:56:28

I honestly wouldn't bother, just another money wasting 'essential' that you really don't need. Nappy bags are really effective although I've even given up to them now. Just normal bin emptied every day. Obviously this is just my opinion smile

SewSlapdash Mon 11-Jul-16 07:01:40

Lidded bin, empty every few days. No need for anything fancy. Now he's much older poo nappies go straight outside, wet ones go in the bin in his room and empty every few days. No pong.

waceystills Mon 11-Jul-16 07:03:03

I found that the "bin of shit" was one of those baby essentials that you don't actually need.

smellsofelderberries Mon 11-Jul-16 07:56:18

No matter what bin you buy, by the time they're on solids all poos will have to go straight outside as they'll stink so much anyway. Plus all the extra plastic is terrible for the environment!

Jodie1982 Mon 11-Jul-16 08:32:54

Double bag into a normal bin. Save you some money. 👍

WhatILoved Mon 11-Jul-16 08:38:05

Try and tip the poo down the loo if you can. Reduces raw sewage problems at rubbish tips. I never saw the point of extra bin. It's just another bin to empty.... But I have same feeling re bathroom bins too

Noodledoodledoo Mon 11-Jul-16 15:03:32

Everyone I know who bought one either used it as a normal bin once first pack of wrappers ran out or sold it within a month or two!

We just use one nappy bag until its full, then pop it outside in the wheelie bin, unless its a poo then we just pop it straight outside. Always clear the room at the end of the day.

Have done this now for about 22 months and not had any lingering smells at all. We just have a normal bin in the nursery but not really used for nappies.

Whiskeyjack Tue 12-Jul-16 15:17:22

I have tried a few different normal bins but found they all leaked the dirty nappy smell. Even if poo nappies went straight out. I got the tommee tippee sangenic and use it with regular bin bags, I don't like nappy wrappers. It seals the smell. It's great so far, get 3 days worth of smelly 22 month old nappies in it before emptying. It's almost too good, we have to empty it outside because it contains the smell so well, it blasts you when you open it!

Goingtobeawesome Tue 12-Jul-16 15:20:31

The sangentic had just come out when I was nannying for two five months old and what a complete waste of time, money and energy.

I used washables so can't advise on a bun specifically for nappies but what about a regular bin with a lid and stick some bicarb in the bottom. Then empty the bin every morning/before bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now