Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

maternity capsule wardrobe

(13 Posts)
imcrackersme Sun 10-Jul-16 20:21:48

Starting to grow out of my regular clothes. What should I have in my capsule wardrobe? I picked up some jeans the other day but anyone seen anything nice out and about. Where I live the sternly selection is tiny.

leoniethelioness Sun 10-Jul-16 20:48:13

I tend to just wear a lot of black for some reason. I like H&M and Jo Jo Maman Bebe the best.

Pearlman Mon 11-Jul-16 07:11:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Heatherbell1978 Mon 11-Jul-16 07:15:28

I'm also an H&M and JojoMamanBebe fan. 7 weeks pregnant with #2 but will probably need to buy more stuff as I'll be big in winter this time around...you can buy online and the clothes are quite 'classic'

SewSlapdash Mon 11-Jul-16 07:35:00

You'll need to order online, there is almost nothing in the shops anywhere. And you're going to need more than a capsule wardrobe. I've even had to buy new knickers.

FriendlyCod Mon 11-Jul-16 09:40:04

I'm 27 weeks and so far I've only bought jeans/jeggings from new look that are actual 'maternity' wear. Everything else has been from h&m's regular range in stretchy jersey cotton material- different variations of vest tops, lovely stretchy mid length skirts (can be worn under bump), stretchy dresses etc. Just try on before buying to make sure the fabric doesn't go see through when stretched across the bump and it'll be fine (nothing I've tried so far has done this).

sundayraspberry Mon 11-Jul-16 09:47:56

I think everyone varies. I've bought very little maternity wear although I do wear a uniform for work.

I've managed with
-new bras
-one pair of maternity jeans
-three maternity t shirts from mother care
-3 dresses (one is a going out dress)
-my normal size knickers and leggings and loose tops
-one pair of baggy trousers for lounging at home.

I was a 12/14 pre pregnancy and have put all my pregnancy weight on as bump! How much you need will depend on how your body grows but I would just buy things as you need them. Unfortunately maternity clothes seem to all be online which is a pain, I've returned about 7 pairs of jeans before I found some I liked in next.

IrisPurple1 Wed 13-Jul-16 08:18:58

I'm 26 weeks due October so need maternity wear for summer and winter. I bought skinny jeans as they can be worn with both sandals and boots.
Hoping to hang on til the autumn season is released at JoJo (August) by wearing my roomier tops.
I got black maternity trousers for work and £6 leggings from Tesco several sizes too big.
Bought too many dresses. Went a bit mad. Not really been the weather to wear them.
Washing machine on constantly with the jeans and work trousers. Could have done with a nicer summer, as I can still fit in most of my normal summer dresses, but far too cold to wear them.

So my advice is, try and buy things that suit cooler and warmer weather, or hang on til the autumn range if you can.

Havingkittens04 Wed 13-Jul-16 08:40:49

Black leggings, black leggings, and more black leggings....grin

I've made apologies to my boss about being at the office in mainly leggings but, as I'm wearing a nice top with them, she has told me not to worry as I still look smart halo

I had a couple of pre-pregnancy pairs that still sit nicely below the bump, and I've just bought some over-the-bump ones too. The weather being so crappy is ideal for leggings and an oversized t.shirt or tunic at the moment, with either shoes or sandals, depending on whether it's wet out. And in the winter I'll still be in my leggings with my boots and a big, comfy jumper wink

I hope the weather doesn't suddenly buck up it's ideas - I don't fancy showing my legs after all the weight I've already put on sad

Eminado Wed 13-Jul-16 08:41:57

Save your money for bras bitter

charlybs Thu 14-Jul-16 07:36:56

Wah I am only 5 weeks but I'm so bloated all my trousers are so uncomfortable! Think I need to get myself some leggings.

Tinklypoo Thu 14-Jul-16 07:42:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DrWhy Thu 14-Jul-16 07:56:45

I'm 32 weeks now and started with JoJo maternity jeans at about 16 weeks with normal tops until 20+ weeks then got a couple of maternity tops from Gap and JoJo plus 2 new bras. For work 2 pairs of JoJo leggings and two maternity dresses on rotation, one of them needs a long vest top under it and I have several of those. In the last 2 weeks or so the jeans have got too uncomfortable to sit in (cut in where the denim starts at the base of the bump) so have been in tunic type maternity tops (2) and bought another pair of JoJo leggings for non-work and another dress.
Had to go into a maternity swimming costume at 20 weeks and had a nightmare getting shorts/skirt for holiday (H&M in the end).
Fortunately some of the dresses and tunic tops and all the long vest tops have been loaned by a friend along with a size 18-20 waterproof that still does up!
I think capsule wardrobe is possible but there's naff all selection in the shops. Some branches of Debenhams, next, new look and H&M have maternity, JoJo have some of their online range, Gap are all online but free delivery and return.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now