Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hip joints very painful in early pregnancy

(6 Posts)
ThePartyArtist Sat 09-Jul-16 18:19:16

I'm 5 weeks pregnant and have really painful hip joints - I'm kinda limping around. They come and go in severity. Feels like its the ball and socket of the hip, rather than the front of my pelvis. Does anyone know what this is about / whether it's a problem?

blue2014 Sat 09-Jul-16 19:01:09

My midwife says it relates to a rush of hormones and the higher the level of hormones the more the pain. Something to do with ligaments relaxing to allow growth. She says its normal and will come and go (luckily I've had it once and am now 18 weeks so don't envy you)

Pandora2016 Sun 10-Jul-16 09:30:29

Link here: www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/pelvic-pain-pregnant-spd.aspx

I have this and it's horrible.

It is normal but you can get help - your midwife should get you some physio. It helps.

ThePartyArtist Sun 10-Jul-16 16:42:19

Thanks pandora I had a look at the link and it refers to pain in the pelvis - mine's in the hip socket, is this the same thing?

Pandora2016 Sun 10-Jul-16 19:00:03

Your hip joint is part of your pelvis.

I'd definitely mention it to your midwife when you see them. I'm 26 weeks and I really, really wish I'd got treatment for it sooner (didn't until 20 weeks).

If you haven't been assigned to a midwife yet, you could speak to your GP.

Jjspoon Sun 10-Jul-16 20:59:19

I have hypermobility syndrome so I feel like this a lot (when not pregnant) as it's worse in my hips. When it's bad I can hardly walk from the pain and sometimes I'll be walking and it just "go's" and I almost fall over. Pregnancy relaxes all your ligaments etc ready for growing baby and birth so it's a lot more common. I feel your pain but you should be able to get help and physio. Be careful not to overstretch as it makes it worse - I've been advised not to do any yoga or similar but strengthening and weight exercise is good as the stronger the muscles the better they can support the ligaments. Definitely get the all clear from a midwife before starting anything though and preferably from an exercise teacher who understands pregnancy. Sorry it's not more helpful but you're definitely not alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now