Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Being induced 38+2

(12 Posts)
cheekymummy89 Sat 09-Jul-16 13:39:05

Hi all I'm being induced this coming Friday due to baby measuring on the small side (9th centile) at 38+2. Anyway this is my second baby and my first was a very fast labour 4 hours from waters breaking to him being here and actual labour recorded at 1hr 40mins in my old notes. They have told me they will start off with the 24hr pessary then see how it goes from there, will get no more than 2 of those to soften cervix then will be given the drip if necessary. Has anyone been induced this far along and had any positive outcomes? My only concern is making sure my cervix is ready, I havnt been offered any examinations or anything so I'm unsure as to whether I will be ready when I get there that morning. Is there anything I can do to help it? I'm currently trying sex each night, bouncing on a exercise ball everyday and hot baths. Walking round as much as I can too!. I'm hoping I don't have a long labour after having such a great one first time round. Any advise very much appreciated.

cheekymummy89 Sat 09-Jul-16 14:31:01

Forgot to mention first labour was spontaneous so this will be my first time being induced.

Pearlman Sat 09-Jul-16 14:42:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

frangipani13 Sat 09-Jul-16 14:49:52

I was induced at 39 weeks due to gestational diabetes and my baby is on the 9th too. I had a sweep/tried every single old wives tale in the book to get things going and nothing worked. Luckily though after the pessary went in I started contracting an hour later. Try to keep as active as you can when things start... I was hooked up to various drips and monitors which made it tricky for me and I think I would have progressed a bit quicker had I been more mobile. Good luck!!

cheekymummy89 Sat 09-Jul-16 15:09:45

Hi I'm being induced because they have said he will gain weight more rapidly being out than in. He's been measuring 3 weeks behind for the last 3 scans (6weeks) so they would prefer to bring him now than let me go full term. I'm not bothered about him coming at 38 weeks as I know he's full term and I take all Dr's advise so if they want him out that's fine. I've just never been induced so more concerned about that than anything.

Pearlman Sat 09-Jul-16 15:13:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lovelongweekends Sat 09-Jul-16 15:17:27

Am currently on maternity ward (had a bleed) and have so far have seen four ladies be successfully induced and head down to the labour ward. They all had pessaries which worked for two of them, the wo others needed drips as well. They are all 38/39 weeks

cheekymummy89 Sat 09-Jul-16 15:28:22

Hope your OK lovelongweekends! I'm hoping I won't need the drip ... heard about how painful it can make things ... but if I need it I need it I suppose. Just hope this bubs doesn't keep us waiting too long. Last time I was checked baby was 3/5th engaged so fingers crossed he's a bit further by then. I know there all wives tales but surely they are worth a shot. I've heard plenty of ladies say things have happened when they tried these things so who knows! Not looking to bring him early just to help soften cervix if it's not already.

HaggisnNeeps Sat 09-Jul-16 16:36:20

I was started with my first as she was small too. My cervix wasn't ready, high and closed. I started contracting 4 hours after pessary went in and labour was 5 hours from 4 cm (less that 12 hours from first contraction). The pessary did the job! Being monitored this time round incase it happens again!

cheekymummy89 Sat 09-Jul-16 17:07:19

That's a really good outcome! A lot of the things I've read have been horror stories so I'm glad you said that lol

Noodledoodledoo Sat 09-Jul-16 21:45:46

Sorry but mine is not such a happy story.

I was induced at 40+1 with my first. Had 24 hour pessary, followed by 3 8 hour pessary and ended up having my waters broken on day 4 before being put on the drip. Ended up fully dilated and in active labour early in the morning of day 5. Ended with a c-section due to baby getting stuck.

I was induced due to baby presenting large - especially the head which was the reason they got stuck!

My consultant wants me second time round (currently 38 weeks) to be induced at 40 weeks - I have refused. I have done loads of research, have fantastic midwife care this time round (same area just got lucky with a fab midwife) and all the information I have got from NICE, Royal College of Midwives, Royal College of Obs and Gyne, etc contradict my consultant.

My labour wasn't painful (although did have an epidural as was exhausted after 4 days) but I have nothing to compare it to.

Early inductions have a high conversion to C-section rate as well - this is due to baby not being in the correct position.

Sorry to be the doom and gloom poster but I have had 4 months of trying to make this decision and done a lot of research and challenged a lot of things! I am normally one not to question a Doctor but when 4 separate midwives all disagree independently with them it gets you thinking!

frikadela01 Sat 09-Jul-16 22:41:35

I was induced at 39 weeks due to hypertension and obstetric cholestasis. At the time of having the gel I had an unfavourable cervix and the midwife said it was highly likely I'd need to repeat the gel in 24 hours. I had the gel at 13:00, started having period type pains pretty soon after. I was examined at midnight and cervix was barely changed. At 2am I was having full on contractions and was 7cm. Baby was born at 5.38am. Midwife who started me off was gobsmacked when she came in the next morning. It was very painful but too late for an epidural so I just coped. This was my first pregnancy. Glad it went fast because I couldn't cope with the pain for much longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now