Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy after a C-Section; how was it for you?

(8 Posts)
2ManySweets Fri 08-Jul-16 08:48:30

Hi guys, am 6+5 with my 2nd baby, DD is 5months old so I don't need to tell you that this preg has happened a bit - um - SOONER than we expected.

I'd like to hear from people who've had pregnancies after a CS. I'm basically scared shitless of:
-scar rupture
-placenta accreta
-pregnancy basically failing to thrive

Of course I'm looking for everyone to tell me that everything will be totally fine and this pregnancy will be awesome (like the last one) but I'd also like to hear reality, just so I can have an idea of things to potentially expect.

All info appreciated xx

SeashellHoarder Fri 08-Jul-16 09:51:59

Ok, as far as I understand it needs to be at least a year between deliveries after a c section, which you would be.

In your position I would get in touch with the midwives, to talk it over.

Alwaysinahurrynow Fri 08-Jul-16 09:56:10

Doctors/midwives are used to dealing with pregnancies soon after a section, so I would get in touch sooner rather than later to put your mind at rest about the specific risks.

2ManySweets Fri 08-Jul-16 10:07:23

I had my booking in appointment yesterday with the midwife - a lovely woman but she kinda spooked me out a bit when she kept sharply inhaling and repeatedly nothing that this delivery is going to be almost exactly a year after the first.

I have to see a consultant due to another condition but she really focussed on abdominal pains and the fact I'm going to not know what's what really with the foetus until 12w and where the placenta will be until week 20.

Ohhh, I'm just almost kinda needing a handhold. I knew what I was doing getting knocked up again smile but I'm just slightly freaked out by the midwife's attitude and all the things that could quite frankly go wrong.

I'm seeing a consultant but that's a cardiologist. Who do I speak to in Maternity if I need reassurance? X

Ihatechoosingnames Fri 08-Jul-16 10:08:29

I got pregnant 14 months after my first EMCS. Pregnancy went well, no scar issues, no placenta issues. Towards the end I had issues with my blood pressure which meant my DDs growth slowed and I had to have her a few weeks early, however that was nothing to do with having a previous c-section. Had an amazing ELCS, such a fantastic experience. Baby DD perfectly healthy!
I know your age gap is much smaller OP, so I understand why you're worried. Best of luck with your pregnancy and congratulations x

2ManySweets Fri 08-Jul-16 10:21:37

Thank you so much for this post and it's good to know your pregnancy was pretty ok xx

Alwaysinahurrynow Fri 08-Jul-16 10:30:33

My two subsequent pregnancies have been fine after sections (fingers crossed still 12 weeks to go on this last one).

They defintely did try and look at the placenta at my 12 week scan for initial positioning and then confirmed it at 20 weeks. I haven't heard of particular failure to thrive risks related to close pregnancies. On scar rupture (I did have 23 months between sections), I was told that the latest risk estimate for uterine rupture was the same as for a first time pregnancy (and you never hear about it during your first pregnancy), so I did stop being so concerned about it at that point, but I don't know the stats on pregnancies closer together. RCOG is the best source of info I've found.

and of course, congratulations on the pregnancy!

2ManySweets Fri 08-Jul-16 19:20:54

Thanks always. My midwife seemed pretty adamant there's going to be no "placenta news" until 20w so obviously I'm counting down to the 12w but this is going to be what feels like it'll be a marathon pregnancy 👀

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now