Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What would you say if . .

(3 Posts)
Dlah Thu 07-Jul-16 13:56:50

If you could go back in time and tell pregnant/new mum you anything/any bit of advice that you never got before you came a mum for the first time?

What would it be?

Marshpillow Thu 07-Jul-16 14:18:43

If anyone tries to make you feel guilty for any of your choices (breast/bottle, cot/co-sleeping etc) you can and should tell them to fuck off smile

During the newborn days, do as little as you can possibly get away with. You'll never again have the time to just sit and do nothing while cuddling your baby. Don't worry about baby groups for a tiny baby, unless YOU want to go to them for adult company. Baby doesn't care what you do with them as long as they're with you!

If breastfeeding is making you miserable, it is okay to stop. You don't have to get permission from anyone to stop. I kept trying for too long and hated myself for a lot longer afterwards for "failing", and now my memories of my DD's newborn days are mostly of me crying and not wanting her to wake up so i didn't have to feed her.

This is a big fat cliché but it's so true: the days are long but the months are short. If you're having a tough time it WILL pass eventually.

Marshpillow Thu 07-Jul-16 14:20:08

Oh and a pregnancy one: if you want to, show off your bump! You may never feel as confident wearing tight clothes again grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now