Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help Anti D detected in blood

(10 Posts)
jcsc Wed 06-Jul-16 21:42:45

Please help I'm so confused right now.
35 plus 2 just been discharged from hospital with anaemia went in with heart palpitations. They did a Full blood count and I was being nosy through my notes wanted to know how low my iron was when I came across my rhesus negative test from 2 days ago stating anti bodies positive and anti d found.
I had the anti D injection at 28 weeks and from my understanding (may have it completely wrong ) the anti D injection is given to prevent anti bodies of anti D being made. So I called up the hospital maternity unit a minute ago to be told it's all fine and as it should be and she went and checked with a consultant. I am still not happy with this as I thought my anti d antibody should always be negative ??
Can anyone please advise before I call them back and look like a complete paranoid loon. This is my 3rd baby

jcsc Wed 06-Jul-16 21:45:56

Photo of test result
Am I reading it wrong ?

adagio Wed 06-Jul-16 21:48:48

I'm no expert but I thought the point if the anti d jab was to give you anti d (or if baby is positive you won't reject them or reject a future pregnancy) so this result shows it worked

adagio Wed 06-Jul-16 21:50:15

(What I mean is you would need another anti d jab if the result was the opposite of this)

mayhew Wed 06-Jul-16 21:52:06

The injection of anti D is given to stop your body making its own anti D. The injected stuff stays in your bloodstream for several weeks, it's supposed to last until delivery.

The injected stuff "hides" any fetal blood cells from your immune system so that you don't react to them. Another injection at birth prevents your immune system reacting to any cells released then to protect future babies.

footballwidow12 Wed 06-Jul-16 21:53:13

I am rhesus negative as well - as I understand it you are given the injections so that if you have a further pregnancy (with a positive baby) then your body won't reject it. So basically it won't affect your current pregnancy at all - but I'm not sure if you should be concerned should you be wanting another! (I could be completely wrong on all of the above though!!) hmm

genome Wed 06-Jul-16 21:57:14

The results say 'due to prophylaxis' so this blood test is picking up the anti-d given at your 28 week appointment. They take blood before they give anti-d at 28 weeks usually to check for any pre-existing antibodies. If that was clear it's most likely this test has just picked up the injected stuff.

jcsc Wed 06-Jul-16 21:59:39

Thank you for the replies.
Yes I had a negative for antibodies and 28 weeks and then given the anti d injection but I thought the anti d injection was meant to stop the anti d antibodies being created but the result said antibody positive or am I reading it wrong. I know I'm probably over reacting but I'm such a worry head confused

barabasiAlbert Thu 07-Jul-16 00:24:47

"Antibody positive due to recent prophylaxis" is very, very likely to be because it's picking up the antibodies you were given in the anti-D injection. (as Mayhew et al have already said). They can't tell qualitatively between those ones and ones you might have made, thus the cautionary "possibly due to recent prophylaxis", but this is a procedure that's very common and well-understood, they do do this all the time, and to be honest I think they're likely to be right that it's all fine smile

If you have another blood test say 6 months after the birth, you're likely to be antibody negative as the anti-D injected antibodies will have gone and you won't have made new ones.

jcsc Thu 07-Jul-16 21:09:36

Thanks for all the replies. I feel a lot better about it today I think it was late and I was tired and over worrying about it last night

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now