Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Vegetarian

(12 Posts)
MrsKBill Wed 06-Jul-16 06:58:31

Good morning! I am only 4 weeks and 6 days pregnant and yet to see the doctor so I'm hoping someone may be able to help before.
I don't eat meat, fish or any meat substitutes and was wondering if I should be taking any supplements at all?

SpecialStains Wed 06-Jul-16 08:15:30

Are you already taking a pregnancy multivitamin? Make sure it has 400ug folic acid in it. The supermarket own brands contain the same stuff as the expensive brands, so don't feel like you have to pay for the most expensive. There's nothing else you need to do or take. If you struggle to take the multivitamin, then separate folic acid and vitamin d (both can be bought at supermarket/boots etc). Ask your pharmacist for advice if unsure. Also, don't worry about diet. If you're eating healthy and enough calories before pregnancy, you don't need to up your calorie intake until later on in pregnancy.

Do you need to see a doctor in your area? In mine we just call up our gp practice, say we've found out we're pregnant and book and appointment directly with the midwife. Drs are great, but not going to do much other than say congratulations, take your multivitamins and book you in with a midwife (they might do a second pregnancy test, but not always).

SpecialStains Wed 06-Jul-16 08:16:37

Also, lifelong veggie here! Baby will take what it needs from you.

And huge congratulations on your pregnancy! flowers

lottiegarbanzo Wed 06-Jul-16 08:20:13

Yup, just the usual folic acid, vit D and maybe a pregnancy multi-vit (not a non-preg one).

I was near-vegan when preg. The MW didn't bat an eyelid. No special advice.

MrsKBill Wed 06-Jul-16 08:42:42

Thank you both so much smile

sparkleshine83 Wed 06-Jul-16 11:44:23

I am vegan and I'll add that you may want to consider taking a veggie omega-3 supplement. You can get this from flaxseed and similar rather than fish but you can also buy seaweed-based derivatives online... little oil capsules that are good for building your baby's brain!

greenlizard Wed 06-Jul-16 15:35:54

I would get yourself a good vegetarian pregnancy book and eat the best diet you can. I also take a boots multi pregnancy vitamin and a seaweed omega 3 capsule. First baby was 9lb 5 and second is shaping up to be a similar size.

Congratulations!

MrsKBill Wed 06-Jul-16 15:51:38

Yes I think I will get myself one of them smile

ASpiderInThebath Wed 06-Jul-16 15:53:42

Depending how well you eat you might need an iron supplement. I eat fairly well (or at least I think I do!) but had low iron during pregnancy. A pregancy multi vitamin should have iron.

Whathaveilost Wed 06-Jul-16 15:56:47

I didn't.
I've got two strapping 6ft4 teenagers with no health issues at all.

SpeakNoWords Wed 06-Jul-16 16:08:06

I've been vegetarian for 20 plus years now, and had two pregnancies during that time. If you normally eat a good balanced diet then there's nothing you need to do differently other than take the usual pregnancy vitamins. I've never had low iron levels at any point throughout either pregnancy. Congratulations btw!

Liss85 Thu 07-Jul-16 00:05:48

Any vegetarian or vegan should have their b12 checked as it only comes from animal products and a deficiency can be quite dangerous. As a vegetarian you might be fine but it's water soluble (you pee out what you don't need) if you did want to take a supplement just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now