Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

fillings while pregnant

(10 Posts)
MrPoppersPenguins Tue 05-Jul-16 22:05:50

Hi all,
I've found out I'm pregnant this week (so I'm barely even 4 weeks) but need quite a bit of dental work doing. Im due at the dentist tomorrow for a filling and I also need an extraction/major route canal work soon. I'd heard that dental work is best avoided in pregnancy? Is this right or am I ok to go ahead as planned? I know I can obviously just ask my dentist but just after any info before I ring them tomorrow. Thanks.

Arborea Tue 05-Jul-16 22:11:16

My dentist refused to do my filling when I told him I was pregnant. I have also had to postpone planned dental implants til after the birth, but have kept up my regular hygienist appointments. HTH!

Idontknowwhoiam Tue 05-Jul-16 22:16:33

I had a white filling put in. The silvery ones contain trace of mercury which can be damaging to baby's nervous system so I would definitely mention it.

Ps congratulations!

MrPoppersPenguins Tue 05-Jul-16 22:26:40

Thanks! Is the local anaesthetic ok too?

DesignedForLife Tue 05-Jul-16 22:31:25

I had a white filling out in, the dentist refused to put in a metal one because of mercury. Assured me the anesthetic he used was safe - said there is one that some practices use that can induce labour though!

Porcupinetree Wed 06-Jul-16 07:47:42

I had major emergency dental work done whilst pregnant with DD (a freak jaw infection leading to extractions etc). We were both ultimately ok but due to hormones and blood flow being different I unfortunately developed dry socket infections (very, very painful) and considering the lack of pain killers you're allowed to take it was probably one of the worst times of my life.
This was an emergency but I'd never choose to have dental work done whilst pregnant again.

Porcupinetree Wed 06-Jul-16 07:49:03

Also I vaguely remember hearing that most dentists will not work on pregnant women below 12 weeks pregnant.

GoingLoopyQuickly Wed 06-Jul-16 19:02:59

I have had two fillings this pg, early on amd the dentist told me he was using a different local which was safe in pregnancy. Which was much nicer than the normal one. I expect I will ask for that one in the future as I didn't get the dribbly recovery.

MrPoppersPenguins Wed 06-Jul-16 20:11:45

Thanks all,
I rang the dentist this am and asked told them I am pregnant, the receptionist checked and said it was fine. The dentist had obviously been consulted as he congratulated me when I walked in! He used a different local anaesthetic but otherwise all done and fine. smile

BikeRunSki Wed 06-Jul-16 20:13:22

I also had a white filling whilst pg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now