Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low weight gain

(14 Posts)
Iwantacake Tue 05-Jul-16 18:31:21

I am 32 weeks plus 3 today. I was 74 kilos (11 stone 9 pounds) when I fell pregnant with a BMI of 28. I am 1.6 meters tall (to put in context the weight distribution) so I was overweight at the point I fell pregnant.

I have only put 3.4 kilos on since falling pregnant. In fact since 27 weeks I have not put on any weight. I have raised this issue with the midwives and the GP, and they all say as the bump measures average and on track, they have no concerns. They said I should force myself to eat (I have lost my appetite but do force myself to eat average portions but it's definitely less than before pregnancy)

I raised the issue with the midwives at 32 week appointment yesterday and they said it is not ideal that I have put only this much weight but as the bump measures normal, they don't see an issue. Everyone keeps saying it's ideal/brilliant/great that I have put on minimal weight but I am truly concerned as reading online in fact towards the end the weight gain in even less so how can I hit the target of putting on another 4 to 6 kilos recommend to ensured that the baby reasonable/average weight) Has anyone had this issue and the baby has been on ok weight wise? I am thinking of getting a private scan just to make sure baby is growing ok. Thank you!

MyKingdomForBrie Tue 05-Jul-16 18:35:06

I'm not very good at kilos but I have put on about 10 pounds and I'm coming up to 30 weeks. I don't really eat any differently as you are not advised to eat extra. I think your body will do what it will naturally do and as long as you're eating regularly and well and the growth measurements are fine this really isn't a problem. I had a scan at 28 weeks for something else and they plotted the measurements at exactly the 50th centile.

MunchCrunch01 Tue 05-Jul-16 18:37:33

Get a private scan - a regular scan won't set you back much. I have similar stats to you and had gained more but I don't think it matters - the concern is whether the baby is a decent size, so get a scan, best way to address that. If you're eating a good range of food, try not to worry too much.

MyBlackCat Tue 05-Jul-16 18:38:10

I'm at nearly 18 weeks and so far put on about 1.5kg, thought it would be more, not mentioned it to anyone yet. I'm eating a bit more than before I was pg. don't know if I should be worried or not shock

Iwantacake Tue 05-Jul-16 19:07:29

Thank you very much for the replies!

MyKingdom 3.4 kilo is about 7 pounds, so your weight gain is slightly more than me at that stage. Knowing your 28 week scan went well is reassuring.

I think I will go for the scan for peace of mind and just to make sure the baby's size is a decent/average size (whatever that means). I will call the fetal medicine centre tomorrow and see if I can get a quick appointment.

Weezie85 Tue 05-Jul-16 19:09:32

I have lost 3kg, my midwife says that is fine. Bump is measuring normal, baby wiggles around loads and it seems healthy. I had a bmi of 30, so needed to lose some.

ohidoliketobe Tue 05-Jul-16 19:18:53

I was like this with both pregnancies. Both times probably at least half a stone heavier than than ideal when I fell pregnant. Suffered with loss of appetite and sickness in both.

With DS I put on a stone in total between booking appointment and about a week before he was born, but had noticabley lost weight in my arms, legs and face. Baby grew perfectly fine and was born perfectly healthy at 40+3 weighing a strapping 8lb, a riget little chunk as well amd just looked hilarious next to me at my skinniest for years!

Currently 30 weeks with DC2 and had an asthma check up a few weeks ago I'm weighing 4kg less than I did at my booking appointment in February. But, bump is measuring right and plenty of movements. Again this time I have lost weight in my arms and legs. I've also been hospitalised twice with hyperemesis.

Everyone's pregnancy is different, some people can't satisfy their hunger and some can't stomach food. Be assured the growing baby takes exactly what it needs from you. Try to get a little bit of fruit, veg and calcium down you if anything. And ignore the fuckers who think it's acceptable to comment "you're starving that baby. Get some proper food down you". I'm sick on average 3 times a day, so thanks, but fuck off.

septembersunshine Tue 05-Jul-16 20:19:49

I haven't put on much either. I am 31 weeks and I'm still struggling to reach 9 stone. I just have this kind of ball stomach but the rest of me looks exsactly the same. No weight gain in my face or legs or arms. It's defiantly my smallest pregnancy. Luckily the midwifes have booked a growth scan for next week. Just wondering if you could ask for one just to put your mind at rest? the midwifes said to me it's really normal for some woman not to gain all that much weight.

Whatsername17 Tue 05-Jul-16 22:21:21

It is possible to lose excess weight and maintain a healthy pregnancy. In all likelihood, your pregnancy and baby weighs the same as everyone else's at this stage. The scales are only saying 7lb gain because you have lost weight. If your bmi was high this is a good thing. Focus on your eating, are you eating at least every 4 hours unless asleep? Is your food intake calorific enough? You only need an extra 300-500 calories in your final trimester
Are you eating between 1700-2000 calories a day? Is your diet full of healthy and nutritious foods? If it is and baby is kicking like normal then don't worry. Your baby will get everything they need.

Noodledoodledoo Wed 06-Jul-16 07:08:04

I have a high BMI (above 35) I am now 38 weeks and have only put on 16lbs in total. I lost weight in first trimester - no dieting or sickness just weight dropped a bit. Same happened in first pregnancy as well.

Most of this weight gain has been in last few weeks. At 32 weeks I had put on about 8lbs.

I have a big baby as well according to growth scans - have to have them due to my weight!

buttertoffee Wed 06-Jul-16 07:09:46

I actually lost 1 stone in the first 22 weeks (nausea and vomiting) and nobody was concerned. I was not even overweight at the beginning of the pregnancy. If everything else is fine I would not worry.

ArgyMargy Wed 06-Jul-16 07:24:50

Babies are essentially parasites. Unless there is something seriously wrong the baby will get all it needs from you. Forcing yourself to eat will make you miserable and achieve nothing. Eating as healthily as you can is important - don't be tempted to go for high calorie foods just so that you can gain weight.

SpecialStains Wed 06-Jul-16 08:21:33

I've only gained 5kg in total at 34weeks and had a healthy/lower end of normal bmi to start with. Having regular growth scans for a separate issue and baby is doing fine.

I thought the advice if you were overweight was to maintain your weight and not gain too much in pregnancy? Really don't worry, as pp said, babies are little parasites and will take what they need from you.

Noodledoodledoo Thu 07-Jul-16 15:57:39

This is a good guidance to how much you should gain.

www.babycentre.co.uk/a554810/weight-gain-in-pregnancy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now