Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby Brain..

(15 Posts)
MakiJ Sun 03-Jul-16 22:57:41

Hi all smile I would love to know if you ever had "baby brain" moments grin

DesignedForLife Sun 03-Jul-16 23:39:28

Yes. Wore odd shoes and didn't realise it until I walked into a room full of people and wondered why my feet felt different. One was ballet pump, the other a kitten heel. In fairness both black.

Religieuse Sun 03-Jul-16 23:42:35

No, because it doesn't exist. No reputable study has ever demonstrated a difference in function.

MancombSeepgood Mon 04-Jul-16 01:29:29

Well it exists for me unfortunately. I have the worst one. I forgot to go to work confused.
I remembered an hour after my shift was meant to finish sad

DesignedForLife Mon 04-Jul-16 07:39:41

Religieuse - whether or not it exists, sleep deprivation and physical exhaustion or having a newborn or being pregnant is very real and that's what people are referring to.

pinkieandperkie Mon 04-Jul-16 07:44:54

Yes, I went out to get milk and came home and put my handbag in the fridge as well as the milk. I was looking for it for a while.

Bluebird126 Mon 04-Jul-16 08:22:13

Went to pay for some groceries last week, total just under £60. Counted out the notes I had with me about 3 times. Brain said £10 short. "Sorry I only have £50 on me, here's my card," Cashier gently explained I had £60 all along, just unable to count it accurately. I'm a teacher. Just could not process it. Oh and last week got as far as the car in my slippers. Leaving things in shops, not being able to come up with correct names for household items eg "that machine" for ironing-board yesterday. I could go on. Quite alarming in fact and I'm not exhausted just preggo.

pinkieandperkie Mon 04-Jul-16 09:25:22

Bluebird I went out in my slippers the other day. I had to drive six miles to the post office and happened to look down and there they were. I'm not even pregnant. I just carried on and went in in my slippers. Felt a twat.

MakiJ Mon 04-Jul-16 09:38:37

Aww blushconfusedflowersstar thank you everyone! So much going on during pregnancy I'm sure we all have these baby brain moments, I haven't had any so far but I'm scared I would leave house without wearing a skirt one day! blush

Suziesome1 Mon 04-Jul-16 17:01:18

I posted a letter into the bin (right beside the postbox) a couple of weeks ago, took special care that it didn't touch the manky sides. Then looked at it, realised and had to crouch down, poke my arm in and fish it out..... To repost it in the postbox.... While being watched by about three worky types in a van eating their lunch.... The shame! blush

Bluebird126 Mon 04-Jul-16 18:45:14

Oh dear Pinkie not even a preggo excuse for slipper shame!

Susie that's hilarious smile

Becciilouisex3 Tue 05-Jul-16 00:07:23

Baby brain never fails to surprise me with just how silly my mistakes can be!

Had to have a day off work last week because I couldn't find my clean uniform anywhere. Decided to spend the day doing housework instead. Opened the dryer a few hours later and there it was! I'd taken a clean, folded uniform and put it back into the wash! I still don't remember doing it to this day!

SpecialStains Tue 05-Jul-16 08:31:29

Agree with Religieuse.

Religieuse Tue 05-Jul-16 10:54:38

Look, maybe you're not sleeping well because the baby is kicking or you're nauseous or worried or something, and that is making you less than sharp in the day time, but that's just tiredness, not some weird hormonal alteration that's suddenly making you stupid or absent-minded because you're pregnant!

The only study that suggested 'baby brain' was real was ages ago, conducted on a tiny number of women, and the study didn't test the women when they weren't pregnant, so had no 'control' baseline. It was blown out as lacking any credibility years ago. Newer, more credible research suggests no changes in brain function in pregnancy, and some published earlier this year suggests women are better at multi-tasking and more efficient workers after giving birth.

The interesting thing is why so many women still say they are stupider/more absent-minded when the best scientific studies show no difference - some researchers suggest that the concept of 'baby brain' is still so widespread that pregnant women are more likely to notice the kind of slips all of us make all the time and ascribe it to baby brain.

I finished writing an award-winning book when I was pregnant. On the other hand, when I - and this is true, I swear! - put a jug of milk outside the back door and tried to put the cat in the fridge, I was a busy teenage university student who was nearly two decades away from having a child. grin

I was as sharp as ever when I was pregnant, despite leading an incredibly complicated (international commute, busy job, antenatal care in two countries, husband only there for about a month of the nine) - but I think that was probably because I was lucky enough, despite being 40, to have a very pleasant straightforward pregnancy, where I wasn't sick or unwell. So there was no reason for me to be tired and forgetful.

oldlaundbooth Tue 05-Jul-16 17:42:11

Bit bah humbug on here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now