Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cold sore at 11 wks pregnant

(9 Posts)
calistamommy Sun 03-Jul-16 21:02:38

I'm 11 wks pregnant and so far have had a throat infection = antibiotics, thrush = canisten cream and now I've got a cold sore. Not my first one I've had them lots since I was a teenager. I haven't used anything normally I use Zovirax. I just wondered if they're common in pregnancy or if I should be worried. ( anxiety overload!)

karmapolice97 Sun 03-Jul-16 21:10:38

You are probably run down and tired at 11 weeks pregnant, classic time for the cold sore virus to strike.

I too am plagued with them and contrary to what a pharmacist may tell you my obstetrician advised that topical aciclovir cream is fine. The quantities you use are tiny.

RuskBaby Mon 04-Jul-16 08:07:00

20 weeks here and I have had 3! Definitely ok to use the Zovirax, I've also been OK to use a laser type machine I have from boots and found that tcp dabbed on occasionally, hurts like hell but seems to dry them out quicker. Also, baby will have a little immunity when first born.

louiseplusditi Mon 04-Jul-16 21:14:07

Ive had these too! I was told its normal, I went to so many different doctors cos I couldnt shift it!! I was told that the virus are in a lot of people and it comes out at times when your body is run down...or pregnant!

calistamommy Mon 04-Jul-16 21:42:17

Thank you ladies. Like anything with pregnancy it's always nice to know you're not alone with new symptoms. I can't remember if I had any during my first pregnancy. And you hear all sorts of worrying stories.

Heirhelp Mon 04-Jul-16 21:44:44

Your body has to lower your immune system when you are pregnant to prevent it from rejecting the foreign body that is your baby.

happylass Tue 05-Jul-16 06:16:25

I had 6 in one go when I was around 11weeks pregnant, though I was on steroids to suppress my immune system. I used Zovirax without even thinking. I figure it's such a tiny amount that it can't do any harm. Bloody painful though!!

DoubleCarrick Tue 05-Jul-16 06:21:13

Pharmacist said to me her information said "only to be used when the benefits outweigh the potential risks" wrt zovirax.

I had one last week at 12 weeks and decided not to bother treating it. She said if it keeps spreading, go to the doctors. It healed within five days without any treatment

karmapolice97 Tue 05-Jul-16 06:42:05

doublecarrick that's what I said up thread. A pharmacist, rightly going by just the written advice won't give you most things they sell. Understandably, they have to cover themselves just like the drug manufacturers put a blanket disclaimer on everything 'not suitable when pregnant or breastfeeding'. I recommend doing homework and speaking to a doctor. Then wearing a big coat when purchasing from pharmacy to hide the bump.

My very experienced, consultant obstetrician was quite clear that a tiny amount of Zovirax cream is fine. The quantity you use is tiny, it's topical so the quantity absorbed through your skin is even smaller, then into your bloodstream.... then across the placenta. Arguably I wonder if any of the active ingredient even makes it. And if so there is no evidence it would even harm a foetus, it's just not been tested cos we don't test drugs on pregnant women.

I do get irritated by the mollycoddling of pregnant women and guilt tripping 'it's not worth the risk' attitude. Yes so you should just suffer everything for 9 months, plus another year or whatever if you breastfeed.

I also think it's dangerous as it lumps all medications in together as 'unsafe' which, if you don't do your research might mean you don't realise the very real, documented dangers during pregnancy of certain everyday meds. It's all a bit 'boy who cried wolf.'

You probably do more harm to your baby by breathing in a big city.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now