Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When did you tell work?

(28 Posts)
Jjspoon Sat 02-Jul-16 15:55:23

Getting a bit ahead of myself at the moment as only 4 1/2 weeks lol but I'm deciding whether to tell my work before my first appointment so I can take it off paid or just take a day/half day holiday. The paranoid side of me doesn't want to tell them until at least after first scan....

I know it won't go down well so that's something for me to consider but at the same time they will have to find out eventually anyway.

When did you tell/plan to tell?

OrianaBanana Sat 02-Jul-16 15:57:40

I told them after the 12 week scan both times. They probably knew anyway because I was as sick as a dog, but having had a miscarriage previously I didn't want to tell them until later. I was starting to show by then for my 2nd otherwise I might have waited until even later.

lilydaisyrose Sat 02-Jul-16 16:07:05

I'm telling my work next week at 17w 5d.

happylass Sat 02-Jul-16 16:49:01

I'm a teacher and I told the Head when I was about 10 weeks (I'd had a scan at 8 weeks). I started telling others after my 12 week scan. Would you still get paid if you just say it's a hospital appointment?

chloechloe Sat 02-Jul-16 17:58:55

I'm 15w and still haven't told them! And I'm about to go off on holiday for 3 weeks - hopefully I don't pop massively in the meantime!

pastabest Sat 02-Jul-16 18:04:39

I've told mine at 7 weeks. I want to be able to go for scans without lying, I'm good friends with my colleagues and they would worry seeing me tired and sick and not knowing why.

I also had a MC earlier this year and had to ask for time off from work. I figured if I'm going to tell them anyway even if I do MC then might as well tell them now and get a bit more understanding from them about underperforming due to sickness and exhaustion.

Boomies Sat 02-Jul-16 18:33:37

Can't you just tell them you have a GP appointment / smear test / consultant appointment etc and take the time off for a medical appointment rather than taking leave?

Trulyamnearanear Sat 02-Jul-16 18:42:20

What's the latest anyone has told, I wonder?

MoodyOne Sat 02-Jul-16 19:21:45

I'm telling mine in 2 weeks after my 12 week scan , it's hard as me and my husband work in the same office so for our first midwife appointment we said we had a family dinner and booked the day off and for the scan we are saying a cooker is being delivered and we need to move the units around so we both have half a day hmm

Jasperkiss5 Sat 02-Jul-16 19:24:46

Well I'm one of those who never has time off for sickness or medical appointments. But at 4 weeks I had a docs appointment and 8 weeks a midwife appointment. So my manager asked if everything was OK, I started to laugh (really tried to hold it together) and I ended up telling her. I asked her to keep it secret though as I didn't want to announce anything until my 12 week scan.

After my scan where I found out I was 13 + 5 I put an announcement on Facebook and all of my work colleagues saw. Next day I was bombarded with hugs and kisses etc lol.

thecatsarecrazy Sat 02-Jul-16 21:51:06

I told mine today. 9 weeks. Wasn't planning to but I looked and felt awful and kept being asked if I was ok so had to tell them.

Freshprincess Sat 02-Jul-16 21:54:31

The day after my first scan,14 weeks think.
A couple of women had guessed anyway, as I was bursting out of my trousers by then.

April241 Sat 02-Jul-16 22:07:08

I found out on a Saturday that I was pregnant and after putting my dates into an app worked out I was 3+4, I told my boss on the Monday because there were certain areas in my work I wasn't allowed to go to and certain things I couldn't do any longer. If it wasn't for my job i'd probably not have told her till just before the scan.

As it worked out I was really glad i'd told her early because I needed an emergency appointment at the doctors a week later which resulted in me taking a week off work, she was really supportive and understanding through it all.

Jjspoon Sat 02-Jul-16 23:01:00

Thanks everyonesmile. Yes I could take it off if I said it was a medical appointment but I'd have to make the time up so work later/earlier another day whereas obviously wouldn't for antenatal. Also my work is not the place you can just vaguely say 'a medical appointment', my manager would want to know for and if I was ok. I wouldn't want to lie especially as we are close and friends out of work too which makes it extra awkward. I have no idea how I will tell her with that strange manager/friend line to cross.

I'm not sick at all at the moment luckily so I think I'll just see how it goes and hold out until after the scan if I can. It'll be obvious in our open plan office if I keep having to run to the loo to be sick though!

I'll see what what time my appointment is when it comes through and go from there I think.

sonlypuppyfat Sat 02-Jul-16 23:04:02

I told mine as soon as I knew, I had quite a manual job and I didn't want to damage anything by lifting

MrsOBrien Mon 04-Jul-16 09:06:34

I told my manager 2 weeks ago, at 5 weeks as was having horrendous stretching pains and was in a right state about it. Just as well, as have been off sick over the last few days and I don't have to lie about it.

hopeful31yrs Mon 04-Jul-16 17:02:49

18 weeks first pregnancy - changed jobs (rotated to another hospital) and turned up "pregnant" to my new job. This pregnancy I had a major bleed at 9 weeks and had to tell those that needed to know. Otherwise I told people last week formally after the 20 week scan - despite showing a lot some didn't realise! Know someone who didn't tell anyone til quite a bit later 24 weeks - but only because she didn't feel she needed to (didn't show and wanted to carry on working and didn't want it being an excuse to not let her just get on with her work). 25 weeks in the absolute latest you can leave it legally.

QueenEnid Mon 04-Jul-16 21:12:56

I told work at 20 weeks but wasn't showing at all. That said, I only found out I was pregnant at 19 weeks!!

Lotties9 Mon 11-Jul-16 19:02:52

I told my manager at around 7 weeks. I'm not announcing to the rest of the team until after the 12 week scan so asked my manager to keep it quiet until then. It's worked well as she has encouraged me to go home when I have been feeling rotten. This really does make me feel that I'm not suffering in silence and I don't have to explain why I am working from home so much.

Pearlman Mon 11-Jul-16 19:09:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SquedgieBeckenheim Mon 11-Jul-16 19:21:10

First time I told work at 8 weeks, glad I did as the next day I had bleeding and had to have a viability scan and take a couple of days off.
Found out today I'm expecting number 2. Dreading leaving work and will put it off as long as possible as it's not the best timing, work wise!

Havingkittens04 Mon 11-Jul-16 19:22:12

With my first I told them at 16 weeks. I was coping okay with the pregnancy and it felt like the right time to share my news.

This time, my third pregnancy, I told my manager at 7 weeks, just after our 6 week scan. I'm almost 12 weeks now and she's been wonderful - discreetly emailing me to enquire about my health etc as I haven't informed the wider office yet.

I was really poorly and in and out of hospital with HG from 6 weeks with my second pregnancy, so had to tell her early on during that time, and I wanted to tell her early on again this time for support and understanding re the emotional rollercoaster I'm on, time off for all our extra scans (we lost our last baby at 17 weeks) and pre-empting sickness should it happen as bad again etc etc

She had a tear in her eye when I showed her my scan photo at 11 weeks - she's so pleased for us. Congratulations x

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Mon 11-Jul-16 19:24:29

Within days of testing positive each time , it's a requirement in my line of work so that a risk assessment can be carried out.

malvinandhobbes Mon 11-Jul-16 19:49:16

10 weeks because DS1 told all his friends, who told their parents, who spread it around so I was getting stopped in the grocery store for congratulations. That all took about 3 days in my very small city. Luckily the early prenatal tests had already come back. This turned out to be handy as I was able to announce a few days later in a meeting that I would not be flying to Asia several times over the coming year.

Ideally I would have waited until 12-13 weeks.

Jjspoon Mon 11-Jul-16 21:46:36

queenenid how on earth did you not find out til 19 weeks?! Lucky you with no symptoms!

I'm almost 6 weeks now and still no sickness or anything so I'm just seeing how it goes. I think I'll tell after first scan...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now