Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

doppler recommendations?

(18 Posts)
blue2014 Sat 02-Jul-16 10:24:49

17 weeks with an IVF baby, all is fine so far but I can't deny I'm anxious.

I know there are mixed view on dopplers but does anyone have a recommendation for a brilliant one?

kiki22 Sat 02-Jul-16 10:36:54

I got one for ds2 i absolutely would not recommend you get one to help anxiety it wont help at all it will make you worse. Is it difficult to find the heart beat when they are small since you don't know where they are sitting you, you also have no idea what the heart beat is supposed to sound like you might find it thinking its right when its too low/high or vice versa.

In a few weeks you will start to get movement it will help so much, I honestly haven't touched my Doppler since getting movement.

PotteringAlong Sat 02-Jul-16 10:38:05

There isn't a brilliant one. You're not a trained professional. Do not even think about it.

PeppaAteMySoul Sat 02-Jul-16 10:42:10

I have the Angel sounds Doppler and have been able to get a heartbeat on that from about 14 weeks. It has helped with my anxiety over this pregnancy and the heartbeat is lovely to hear.
Saying that previous posters are right in saying that if you can't find it then you may panic and it does get less useful when you can reliably feel kicks.

NeedACleverNN Sat 02-Jul-16 10:43:11

I wouldn't really. It won't help your anxiety. You will reach for it every few moments and then panic if you can't find anything.

Even the midwives struggle sometimes

raeray Sat 02-Jul-16 10:51:20

I agree with the others I wouldn't recommend getting one - I've heard of people getting false reassurance from them and are actually somehow hearing their own heart beat not babies.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, like others say soon you'll start to feel movements which will help flowers

Borogoves Sat 02-Jul-16 10:52:58

Doppler recommendation: do not buy one!!!

Dixiechick17 Sat 02-Jul-16 11:36:16

I used a friend's one twice. Think it was angel sounds, I struggled to find the heartbeat and it made me so anxious. Once I heard the heartbeat myself at my 16 weeks appt with the Midwife I didn't touch it again. Only reason she listened to it then was due to my anxiety which stemmed from a few complications. I focussed on movement from then on.

blue2014 Sat 02-Jul-16 12:29:34

Thanks everyone, mumsnet wisdom wins again. I'll give it a miss and wait (fingers crossed) for movement can we fast forward a few weeks wink

Dixiechick17 Sat 02-Jul-16 16:00:02

I got my first kick at just under 19 weeks, hope it's that soon for you toogrin

PeppaAteMySoul Sat 02-Jul-16 18:06:31

Probably wise in waiting a few weeks I am with you blue in wanting to fast forward a few weeks. I am desperately waiting for my 20 week scan.

cheapredwine Sat 02-Jul-16 18:46:16

IVF pregnancy here too, and I'd avoid a doppler like the plague. I felt first movements at just before 16 weeks. Waiting is so hard OP I know, but really think doppler is not the answer. Even midwives tend not to use them before 16 weeks as it's so hard to be accurate, and after that they will take a little while working out the positon of the baby and where they should listen as a result. Really hope all goes well for you

Jasperkiss5 Sat 02-Jul-16 19:35:56

I had the Angel sounds one and picked up a heart beat at 7 weeks.

It was brilliant. Make sure you use plenty of cream or lubricant on your belly though otherwise it makes this awful scratching sound that blows your ear drums out.

Of course midwife went mad when I told her. They just don't want you to become reliant on it. I.e. If you can't feel baby moving for a day or something and use the Doppler to make your own call on if baby is ok or not. Apparently some people do that, but they are clearly stupid.

April241 Sat 02-Jul-16 22:29:45

I have the Angelsounds one which I got at 16 weeks if I remember correctly and I loved it. I use it probably once or twice a week for less than a minute at a time.

I've always been able to find my babies heartbeats and when I went to the midwife the other day she used her doppler for the first time (I didn't tell her I have my own). She found both of them in the same places that I find them and they sounded the exact same. Before I used mine I went onto YouTube and watched a ton of videos on the different sounds you can pick up.

They're not for everyone but i've really enjoyed mine. I'm 23+1 now and have been getting movement since about 21 and a half weeks so I don't reach for it as much now, maybe once a week if at all. I still don't have huge massive kicks and rolls but I do get something every day which is reassuring. I'm also being scanned regularly from 26 weeks onwards so i'll probably get rid of it to be honest.

As others have said people can panic if they don't hear anything or think everything is ok when it's not, I know I wouldn't have done that and i'd always call up the midwives if I had any concerns rather than reaching for my doppler so it all depends on the person too smile

CharleyDavidson Sat 02-Jul-16 22:37:57

I bought a doppler and loved it. It wasn't one of the commercial ones though, it was like one of the ones that the midwives used. I didn't find it difficult to use. I did learn quickly where to best aim to hear it and I didn't use it too often or for too long. I've loaned it to many, many friends since buying it and most have loved being able to borrow it. One did find it difficult to find the heartbeat, so returned it. I used the movement as an indication of how well things were going, so if I had plenty of movements but couldn't find the heartbeat then I knew it was just down to the way my baby was lying.

It was a bit like this one...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EX-RENTAL-PROFESSIONAL-FETAL-DOPPLER-HI-Bebe-BT200-Sound-/262503895251?hash=item3d1e7390d3:m:m8212OrB4KiPOUFe7j0sdIw

blue2014 Sun 03-Jul-16 10:34:40

Thanks everyone, I've talked to DH about what you've all said and we have decided against.

Now where is that time machine for all of us who need it?? smile

Highlove Mon 04-Jul-16 13:40:16

In my second IVF pregnancy here. With both, I've paid for an additional scan at around 16 weeks as I found it such a difficult/anxious time. Far, far better than spending money on a Doppler - you've made the right call.

Fwiw, I went in for reduced movement at around 25 weeks in the first pregnancy. A very experienced midwide couldn't find the heartbeat despite much trying. With a sombre face she went off to get a Dr and we feared it was all over. The worst five minutes of my life. The Dr brought a portable scanner and all was fine - the little monkey is two now. But it just shows why they can be such a huge source of worry.

blue2014 Mon 04-Jul-16 15:24:57

Thanks highlove and congrats on your pregnancy (and little one!)

I'm lucky I get lots of scan but I managed to start worrying after a 15 scan (all fine) and hearing heart beat (all fine!) at 16 weeks then knowing there is a wait until 20 weeks now the worry sneaks back in hmm nevermind, the worry is under control for now. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now