Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Overdue and fed up. What's left to try?

(16 Posts)
Inwaiting Sun 26-Jun-16 16:46:54

I've done pretty much everything - nipple stimulation, sex, relaxation classes, clary sage, pineapple, curries, walking, rotating on birthing ball, raspberry leaf tea, reflexology, massage and acupuncture.

I'm in this for the long haul aren't i? 40+1 trying to stay positive I won't need a sweep or induction

rubyslippers Sun 26-Jun-16 16:49:13

A sweep is the one thing which kicked labour off for me

Is there a reason you don't want one?

A sweep is very different from induction

Inwaiting Sun 26-Jun-16 16:51:47

ive heard it can be very uncomfortable. Maybe that's the way forward. I know I can't really complain but all the texts and calls asking where baby is making me so anxious

AngieBolen Sun 26-Jun-16 16:52:50

A sweep didn't work for me.

40+1 is nothing....I did spill jasmine oil all over my bump at 40+10, and that seemed to do the trick.

But if you've tried everything you have, I'm sorry, your baby just isn't quite ready!

Gardencentregroupie Sun 26-Jun-16 16:54:56

I barely felt my sweep, and went into labour within the hour (though the fact I was 3cm dilated might explain both)

rubyslippers Sun 26-Jun-16 16:56:06

Mine was uncomfortable painful but two hours labour contractions started

I had already had a show so was getting ready

It's up to you - but you can reasonably tell everyone who is ringing you to bog off!!

mumhum Sun 26-Jun-16 16:57:20

I found a sweep fine. I also tried midwife recommended Evening Primrose Oil tablets (just like the ones you swallow) directly in your vagina, and acupuncture. Baby came at 40 + 5 but I cannot say what got it all going!

indecisivedoctor Sun 26-Jun-16 16:57:46

A sweep got me into labour within hours at 40+7. It was not comfortable but definitely bearable. I think it's certainly worth trying to avoid induction.

Inwaiting Sun 26-Jun-16 16:58:04

I've tried but they don't really get the hint. I get they're excited but it's just making me quite anxious. I have had two shows now so fingers crossed it won't be long.

I know I'm not massively overdue but there's only 9 days to go until they start to monitor and push induction.

Figgygal Sun 26-Jun-16 17:01:20

Sounds like you've tried everything just wanted to say Induction doesn't have to be the worst thing in the world I had an unsuccessful sweep and then needed to be induced at 40+12 it took a lot of uncertainty out of the process which I quite enjoyed strangely.

iamdivergent Sun 26-Jun-16 18:29:31

I'm 40+7 and had a sweep this morning. Same as you I've tried everything bar sex (can't face it, too swollen and painful down there).

Just a waiting game unfortunately.

Shanster Mon 27-Jun-16 01:54:20

None of these worked for me, I was induced twice....but everyone told me walking up and down stairs, going for a long walk, eating curry (or eggplant parmesan) etc would help. I spent house bouncing on a birthing ball but in the end the inductions were fine. Would love to avoid one this time, but it looks unlikely.

HooseRice Mon 27-Jun-16 02:22:44

Nothing worked for me x2 but a friend swore Japp's health salts worked for her x2 (they just gave me the squits)

ICJump Mon 27-Jun-16 02:43:10

You aren't over due yet.
Give it time. Go for a swim, head to the movies, eat out.
It's just time now. I know it's hard too I have long pregnancies (40+10,40+15) so please be kind to yourself. In a few days the baby will be here.

Mouthfulofquiz Mon 27-Jun-16 02:52:46

I've been 40+12 with my last two babies, both born within hours of my appointments to be induced! Unfortunately, you're not ready until you're ready. I had 4 sweeps the first time I was very overdue, none worked. I had one this time, at 40+11 and went into labour within a couple of hours. I must just have timed it right.
Sweeps are uncomfortable but not that bad in my experience. Good luck!

iamdivergent Thu 30-Jun-16 18:08:32

Can i just say that I had my baby Tuesday at 40+9 44hrs after my first sweep - i wasn't keen on the idea but do think it helped things along!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now