Talk

Advanced search

What small stuff should I buy?

(13 Posts)
BeedlesPineNeedles Sat 25-Jun-16 10:11:34

I don't live in the UK but I'm coming over to do some shopping with my mum soon. What sort of small things should I look at in the likes of Boots, Primark etc that I might want for late pregnancy, labour and the first few weeks/months with a newborn. I'm 21 weeks now and haven't bought anything yet. Vests, sleepsuits etc are on the list already.

Anything I buy needs to fit in my suitcase, so I'm not looking at big stuff!

cheapredwine Sat 25-Jun-16 13:00:12

Bibs, socks, muslins, hats?

PotteringAlong Sat 25-Jun-16 13:01:34

It depends what you can't get where you live really.

billabye Sat 25-Jun-16 13:02:47

Metanium nappy rash cream. It's the best!

icklekid Sat 25-Jun-16 13:07:26

Lanolin nipple cream if you intend to breastfeed also reusable breast pads
Maternity pads and mats (protect matress) for birth and after.
I presume nappies will be avaliable where you are!

BeedlesPineNeedles Sat 25-Jun-16 13:14:37

Thanks billabye and icklekid nipple and nappy cream on the list. I would have no idea what they're called here!

I'm sure most things are available here but I either wouldn't know where to buy them (nothing like Boots here) or they're quite expensive (no multi-pack vests or sleepsuits here)

imsorryiasked Sat 25-Jun-16 13:16:40

Lanolin cream for nipples.
Sudocreme for nappy rash.
Medicine syringe (about 50p from pharmacy) so you don't have to fight a screaming child woke a spoon full of medicine.
Not necessarily small but if you
don't have a second hand market place / easy eBay option then maybe a sling or baby carrier.

keepitgoing Sat 25-Jun-16 13:19:25

Only get lansinoh, not own brands. You'll only need one tube

Baby monitor

You'll need lots of maternity pads and they can't be that expensive elsewhere so I'd forget them.

?breast pump

Sling
These are the sorts of things I'd think it worth transporting. I guess if you plan reusable nappies they'd prob be cheaper here

chloechloe Sat 25-Jun-16 13:59:58

It depends what you struggle to get where you live. I live in Germany when you can get everything, but I find baby clothes are much nicer and better value in the UK. I regularly buy things from M&S and John Lewis online (multipacks of bodies etc) and get it delivered - do they deliver to where you are?

Gripe water is one think you can't get over here but lots of UK mums swear by!

suspiciousofgoldfish Sat 25-Jun-16 14:03:30

And for you, get loads of big black pants from primark and a few of their cheap stretchy nighties in case you have to stay in hospital for a while.

Fragranced baby wipes to freshen yourself up.

Comfy bed socks/slippers.

BeedlesPineNeedles Mon 27-Jun-16 06:11:37

Thanks for the tip about John Lewis chloe I didn't know they delivered. I'm hoping for a 20% offer from M & S soon, so I can ordre some stuff from there.

goldfish yes to big black pants from Primark, I knew I had read something about that before but couldn't remember what. Thanks!

sepa Mon 27-Jun-16 08:52:57

Big BIG pants. Saved my life after a EMCS

MyBreadIsEggy Mon 27-Jun-16 09:02:05

Cusson's Mum & Me New Mum bath soak (white bottle with a yellow cap)
I recommend it on all of these threads!! It contains arnica, which works wonders for swelling and bruising. After my Dd was born, I had a slight tear which needed a few stitches, but also external "grazes" which didn't need to be stitched but we're really sore for the first week....every time I needed to wee, I would run a shallow bath with the soak in it, sit in it for a few minutes and pee in the water to dull the sting blush It's amazing!
I'm 22 weeks with DC2 and I've stocked up on it already!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now