Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cyclogest 200mg after 2 MC's

(10 Posts)
Freckles1215 Fri 24-Jun-16 17:21:27

Trigger alert*

Hi ladies... So I let you all know that I had a BFP with my rainbow after 2 MC's this year.
I've had a scan at 6 weeks and then one today and I'm 7 weeks 1 day and baby has a lovely strong heartbeat. Consultant has started me on a course of Cyclogest pessaries 200mg twice a day until I reach approx 14 weeks and placenta has fully taken over. I'm just wondering if any of you have been prescribed these and what the best way to take them was (vaginally or rectally)? Sorry for the TMI lol! Also... I've been reading about some pretty bad side effects, any experience with these?
Thank you in advance Xx

cheapredwine Fri 24-Jun-16 18:23:25

Suggest you use back door - less messy and if used vaginally they can irritate the cervix. No side effects ever other than constipation - and that's the progesterone, not the insertion IYSWIM

Freckles1215 Fri 24-Jun-16 18:47:59

Great thank you, first one tonight so will try it that way.

OhIfIMust Fri 24-Jun-16 18:59:03

No side effects here. And two successful pregnancies after being put on them too. They are a bit messy but totally worth it.

cheapredwine Fri 24-Jun-16 20:19:27

Freckles they can be quite hard and pointy, but you can use KY or something similar if that helps get them up

FlipperSkipper Sat 25-Jun-16 08:25:33

I'm on these for an IVF pregnancy, textually is definitely better, vaginally is more messy and you have to lie down for a while afterwards. They make me feel a bit bloated and crampy.

mascaraisamust Sat 25-Jun-16 09:06:46

I really think they helped me maintain this pregnancy after mc, now nearly 37 weeks. I'd definately take them again if I TTC #2. I took them to 16 weeks, weaned off them. Best of luck with everything!

Freckles1215 Sat 25-Jun-16 10:07:26

Thanks everyone!! I done first one last night rectally and I ended up with a massive stomach bloat and crippling pains. I had an alarm set for 5am and used vaginally instead and I haven't been too bad this morning so I'm thinking this is the way forward for me

ifigoup Sat 25-Jun-16 10:10:28

I did mine vaginally too and found them a lot less unpleasant that way. Maybe I'm literally a tight-arse! Seriously, though, I am now 40+5 as a result of these pessaries! Hope you have a similarly successful result!

cheapredwine Sat 25-Jun-16 13:04:01

If you carry on vaginally just be aware that they might cause some cervical bleeding. Bit surprised you had masses of bloating on the 200s but progesterone will slow down muscular contraction of bowel (IIRC - hence constipation etc) so suggest you get some Lactoluse or Movicol in stock. Good luck OP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now