Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I can't bloody breathe!!!

(13 Posts)
Rubberduck2 Wed 22-Jun-16 14:47:00

17+ 5 today and over the past few days I've really started to struggle with shortness of breath. First it was if I went up the stairs - I'd have to sit on the bed for a couple of mins to recover but now I'm struggling to breath normally whilst I'm lay on the couch. It's like I can't get enough air in to my lungs. I've had bloods done this morning but it's quite unnerving not being able to breath normally!!

I will get a gp app but has anyone experienced this at this stage and if so when did it go??

somelikeitmild Wed 22-Jun-16 14:51:28

I definitely had that with first DC but later on - maybe around 26 ish weeks. I remember taking big gulps of air in an effort to fill my lungs. Didn't have it at all with second pregnancy and I put it down to the amount of weight I gained: 20kg in first pregnancy and just 3kg in 2nd pregnancy (not boasting, I had gestational diabetes so strict diet!). It does go away but not until later when the bump drops down a bit. None of this is scientific though so if you're properly worried it's no harm asking a midwife/doctor.

Havingkittens04 Wed 22-Jun-16 14:51:54

Could your iron levels be low? You may be prescribed iron tablets or spatone, which might help?

summersalmostgone Wed 22-Jun-16 14:52:38

I had this and it was because I had very low iron levels.

Pythonesque Wed 22-Jun-16 14:58:03

To be honest, that level of shortness of breath developing fairly rapidly concerns me. See your GP today or tomorrow - it's reasonable to ask for an urgent appointment for this I think. They may be able to reassure you after an assessment, or it could be anaemia and therefore treatable, or (hopefully not) it could be any one of a number of more worrying and pretty rare things they'd be looking to exclude by examining you properly.

Best wishes, hope it's "nothing really" and all settles down for you!

hellocornflakegirl Wed 22-Jun-16 15:09:34

Yes, definitely call midwife today. I did the same (albeit later in pregnancy) for sudden shortness of breath and they wanted to run all kinds of tests. All was fine, but they should take it seriously. All the best!

somelikeitmild Wed 22-Jun-16 15:12:41

I was chronically anaemic in first pregnancy but not second one so maybe the previous posters are right about your iron levels.

Rubberduck2 Wed 22-Jun-16 15:29:03

Thank you. Iron levels were done this morning so hopefully should have the results of those tomorrow.

I intend to see my gp as my dad has cardiomyopathy which started out as shortness of breath so it's put me on full alert to get properly checked out however his was an extreme case and I think it's highly unlikely to be something so drastic and more pregnancy related. I'm feeling a bit better at the moment so hopefully I can have a more settled afternoon.

I appreciate your replies... It's quite scary when you're by yourself.. Apart from the cat who is eyeing me suspiciously from across the room!

EvansAndThePrince Wed 22-Jun-16 15:29:58

Definitely get in touch with someone but tbh I had this pretty much my whole pregnancy last time. Seem to be going the same way this time. I've very low blood pressure except at the end when I got preeclampsia and it was sky high so that may affect it.

DrWhy Wed 22-Jun-16 15:38:14

I had this for several hours a few days ago, now 28 weeks. It was really disconcerting, didn't seem to be a position where I could get a full breath of air. I've been fine since - very out of breath after 2 floors of stairs at work but recovered in a normal time - I think the key for me is to stand up - it seems to be the only position in which the bump is not somewhat squashing my lungs.
Given how early you are and your family history though I'd be on to the GP or midwife pronto.

DrWhy Wed 22-Jun-16 15:39:24

Oh and like Evans I have unusually low blood pressure. The midwife always has to look back at my notes and say 'OK, that's normal for you'!

Rubberduck2 Wed 22-Jun-16 16:46:50

I have low blood pressure also. It's usually around 90/50 and always causes a mild panic until they realise it's bog standard for me. I wonder if that is contributing then.

I'm feeling totally fine now. It's very strange. The only other thing that's changed is that I have finally managed to go to the toilet properly this afternoon. I was quite, ahem, backed up shall we say and it was driving me insane.

Tis not easy this pregnancy milarkie!!

Bluebird126 Wed 22-Jun-16 22:48:26

The breath thing does sound a bit extreme so as well to get it checked. I'm 21 + 4 and huff and puff to get up the stairs but recovery is quick. Re going to the loo, I recommend my friend Mr Prune - have 6 or 7 out of a tin every morning to keep things from getting nasty if you know what I mean smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now