Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low lying anterior placenta

(12 Posts)
Summerblaze100 Mon 20-Jun-16 12:26:09

I went for my scan a few days ago and was told I have an anterior placenta which is low. At the moment it is 6mm away from my cervix but the midwife says they like it to be 20mm away.

I've looked on the internet but can only find info on placenta previa which covers or partly covers the cervix which mine isn't.

Has anyone else had this at 20 weeks. Did it move. Having another scan at 36weeks so hoping things change. This is my 4th baby but have not had a section before so am a little scared.

LittlePeterRabbitAndHisFly Mon 20-Jun-16 12:28:43

Low lying anterior would probably mean a section was harder, as long as it's not in the way of your cervix.

I need a section and my placenta was anterior and they said if it stayed low I would have to try for a birth hooked up to all sorts of monitors, luckily it quickly moved up.

Summerblaze100 Mon 20-Jun-16 12:36:29

They just said it was 6mm away and they need it to be 20mm or I would need a section. It's not covering any of my cervix though.

LittlePeterRabbitAndHisFly Mon 20-Jun-16 13:09:33

I'm not sure then looks like we've been told different things

DesignedForLife Mon 20-Jun-16 17:02:02

Yes I had this at my 20 week scan, got my 32 week scan this week to see if it's "moved". Haven't been told anything more that it should move, if it doesn't I'll need a section.

carnassials Mon 20-Jun-16 17:12:25

I just today had a 34 week scan to check if my placenta had moved from partially covering my cervix. It is still low lying and too close to my cervix so I have to go back and have another scan at 36 weeks. Apparently what with the baby growing quite a lot at the moment, the placenta is still likely to be pushed upwards.

Unfortunately, the nurse was probably being deliberately vague with me when I asked questions about if I need a c-section and the only important point was that if I have any sort of bleeding then I have to call triage immediately sad

DesignedForLife Mon 20-Jun-16 21:05:32

They told me if I had any bleeding to go to A&E immediately confused

Newmrs22 Mon 20-Jun-16 21:13:34

I had this. Had a scan at 31 weeks last week and it had moved. Apparently 90% do move out of the way.

Sunshinegirl82 Mon 20-Jun-16 21:37:45

Hello, I had this at my 20 week scan with placenta touching or very close to cervix (but not covering), it's also anterior. I did have a couple of small bleeds at 21 and 23 weeks and had an overnight stay in hospital. I don't mention that to frighten you but just to let you know it can happen so try not to panic if it does. Do call triage straight away though so they can check you out and let them know that you have a low lying placenta. Baby has been completely unaffected by the bleeds.

I am now 39 weeks and have had no further bleeds. Had scans at 32 and 37 weeks both of which confirmed that the placenta had moved up and out of the way so no need for a c-section. They are planning on inducing me on my due date but that is due to the bleeds rather than the position of the placenta itself.

It's actually very common for the placenta to be low at 20 weeks (occurs in about 20% of pregnancies apparently). 95% of low lying placentas move by 32 weeks and cause no problems so chances are you will be absolutely fine. Hope all goes well x

Summerblaze100 Tue 21-Jun-16 07:27:30

Thanks. I am 21 weeks now and have had no bleeding as yet. I will keep an eye on that and get medical attention straight away.

Encouraging to know that yours has moved away. I've got my fingers crossed that mine will do the same.

Quodlibet Tue 21-Jun-16 15:33:38

I had a low lying placenta too at 20 weeks but it has moved right out the way now at 36 weeks and I've had no bleeding or other issues. Most do move thankfully (though I worried about it too.)

Monkeyinshoes Tue 21-Jun-16 17:26:16

I had this with my second...20 week scan showed a low, anterior placenta. Mine was covering cervix a little bit too.

However I had no bleeds and it had moved up by the next scan so I didn't need a c section in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now