Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

when did you go to hospital for baby number 2?

(44 Posts)
LimesMum Sat 18-Jun-16 21:17:09

I've been freaking out as I've had 3 friends give birth at home with baby number 2, one who just made it to hospital in time and one who was pushing in the car park!!

Just wondering if people have any guide or advice on when is best to get to the hospital?!

My midwife said once contractions are 5 mins apart but i know if you call the hospital they don't always agree.

Thanks!

Afreshstartplease Sat 18-Jun-16 21:19:43

DC2 I went in at 5 min apart and was 4 cm, was in there 12 hour before he was born

NoCapes Sat 18-Jun-16 21:24:18

Labouring in the living room, DP tootling round getting things we needed
Me - "babe help me up the stairs I think I need a poo before we go"..."shit that's a head! I can feel the head lets gooooo!!!"
So we went
I was in the hospital room for 7 minutes before she was born, and yes I was pushing in the car too

Jenjen85 Sat 18-Jun-16 21:25:41

Following as currently pregnant with DC2 and wondering the same as was only in labour 5.5hrs with my first

Luckystar1 Sat 18-Jun-16 21:26:59

I'm petrified by this too. I was only in the hospital for 2 hours (Max) before DS was born and I lied to get in there so o have absolutely no idea when to go (but also don't want to be stuck in there unnecessarily)

DiggersRest Sat 18-Jun-16 21:27:56

My waters went without any contractions so l was told to go to triage. They checked it was indeed my waters and no just pee leaking from me for the last 2 hours hmm

This triggered my contractions and dd2 was born 4 hours later.

LastGirlOnTheLeft Sat 18-Jun-16 21:28:57

I laboured at home in bed until there was about 5 minutes between contractions. I remember taking a bath and when I came out, there was no gap at all really. Just one huge, long wave of agonising pain. DH drove me to hospital (10 mins away) and DS was born 45 minutes later.

Flisspaps Sat 18-Jun-16 21:29:28

My ctx were never 5 mins apart with DS.

They went from 6-7mins apart and 3 minutes long (yes, horrific) to pretty much constant. I transferred in after pushing for a few hours with no sign of DS arriving.

Planned as a home birth though.

0hCrepe Sat 18-Jun-16 21:29:54

Waters broke a bit in middle of the night/ early morning. Stayed at home till about 11 then went in and they examined me and went down to labour ward. She was born at 6pm so no mad dash for me!

janethegirl2 Sat 18-Jun-16 21:30:29

I only got to the hospital in time as my DM was looking after dc1 and was driving me nuts. As soon as I felt the urge, I decided to go to hospital via a cafe for breakfast....I didn't get breakfast and dc2 was born around 8am. If I'd followed the advice given, dc2 would have been born at home.

LastGirlOnTheLeft Sat 18-Jun-16 21:31:56

My advice is to just time your contractions. Once it gets to 5 minutes get ready to go. Have a nice warm bath with bags packed.

EustachianTube Sat 18-Jun-16 21:31:57

Had a home birth so it wasn't an issue but labour from start to finish was 3 hours with no.2. And that was my longest one! 😄
My SIL stayed at home for hours with no2 because she was convinced it'd be 12 hours plus like the first one. She barely made it in time and was pushing when they arrived at hospital, delivered a few minutes later.

hellocornflakegirl Sat 18-Jun-16 21:39:23

Not in the UK but my midwife told me not to wait for any particular interval (eg five minutes apart) for DC2, but to go in as soon as they were in a regular pattern. And she also told me that if they were regular and waters broke, then be prepared to give birth at home (or wherever) as there might not be time to get in to hospital!! I'm 39+6 today, and hoping hoping I'll get to hospital!!!

NickyEds Sat 18-Jun-16 21:39:39

I woke up at midnight to a massive contraction followed by another 5 minutes later. The contractions were so intense that I went into hospital at 2am (took that long to get my sister over to watch ds and get to hospital)to beg for pain relief. They said I was 3 cm and not in labour so wouldn't admit me but let me wait in the closed induction suite as I was too scared to go home. Dd was born there at 5am!

IslaSinga Sat 18-Jun-16 21:41:02

I did have baby number 2 at home (planned) - mainly because baby number 1 was such a quick birth!

Afreshstartplease Sat 18-Jun-16 21:41:32

My DC3 was 5 hours from first twinge to being out, there was a point I didn't think I'd make it to the hospital. I'm now expecting DC4 and I admit a little worried!

mineofuselessinformation Sat 18-Jun-16 21:45:28

I didn't need any desperate need to go, and had to wait for in laws to see to dc1. When I arrived I was 7cm. Dc2 was born 1 hr 40 mins later.

mineofuselessinformation Sat 18-Jun-16 21:45:55

feel

cocochanel21 Sat 18-Jun-16 22:10:40

I went to visit my mum in her care home on my due date I was fed up sitting at home with nothing happening. Leaving the home my waters went in the car park. Arrived at the hospital and was taken to a side room the midwife pulled my leggings down and Dd2 head appeared. 40mins after leaving my mum's I was sitting in a bed with Dd2 in my arms in SHOCKsmile.
With Dd1 I was in Labour for 19hrs.

originalusernamefail Sat 18-Jun-16 22:15:50

I have loooooong labours (72 & 36 hours respectively) with contractions 5 mins apart for at least 24 hours each time. It's not much help but I went in when I could no longer cope without pain relief.

I was wondering about this. with DD my contractions were 3 mins apart from the word go. She was born 106 hours later. I'm hoping this one isn't back to back and therefore much quicker, But have no idea when is need to go..

2nds Sat 18-Jun-16 23:18:21

Wtf 106 hours I thought my 52 hours of labour was bad but that must have been so tough Littlegrey :-( I really hope your next birth experience is much quicker for you. And you too original.

MrsSparkles Sat 18-Jun-16 23:22:57

Dd1 took 4 hours. Dd2 born last week took 90 mins from first twinge - I just made it to hospital. We live a good 25 min drive from the hospital so I left fairly promptly (hospital told me not to come but I wasn't risking having a baby on the side of the road).

They advised waiting until my contractions were closer together, and said that with second babies they tend to come quickly after your waters go so don't wait for that.

dats Sun 19-Jun-16 00:06:05

Following with interest, DD was 15hrs from waters to delivery and we then lived 6min from hospital. Now we've moved at least 35min away and knowing many friends who've had unplanned homebirths with no 2, I'm booking one! My contractions with DD weren't reliably in a pattern, either so I have no idea what to expect second time round. And I don't fancy a layby!

LimesMum Sun 19-Jun-16 01:26:29

Wow thanks everyone amazing responses.

I think this thread has however managed to scare me even more!!!

With DD it was 3.5 days from contractions starting with about 20 hours in hospital after being sent home twice before and my waters never actually broke - this was done for me just before they did and episiotomy and ventouse.

I live a good 35 min drive (on a good day) down the M4 so I'm going to be sure to get to that hospital as soon as I feel anything!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now