Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

how did you feel when you saw the first scan?

(29 Posts)
MakiJ Fri 17-Jun-16 23:41:23

Hi all smile I had my first scan today, wanted to see how everyone else felt after seeing the little one chilling inside you? blush

WasDat Fri 17-Jun-16 23:43:12

Relieved. I knew I was pregnant because of the raging morning sickness but the scan seemed to finally confirm it. smile

Scoopmuckdizzy Fri 17-Jun-16 23:49:40

To be honest I felt nothing at my first scan for DC1. It was a bit anticlimactic. The sonographer had a student with her and was more focused on telling her what was on the screen and I couldn't really see anything until about 30 seconds at the end. The scan photo wasn't very good either.

My 12 wk scans for DC2 and 3 were far better though (different hospital) and I felt really emotional at seeing DC3 for some reason!

Pigeonpost Fri 17-Jun-16 23:57:05

I cried. It was my 4th pregnancy after a series of miscarriages and I couldn't quite believe there was actually a baby there.

CharminglyGawky Sat 18-Jun-16 00:00:14

Weirdly calm and relieved. It was an early reassurance scan and I really expected to be more involved emotionally. I mean I was happy but not ecstatic. The nausea and spaced out feelings from the anti-emetics may have had something to do with it though!

MakiJ Sat 18-Jun-16 00:06:06

Aww bless everyone I was like that too relieved, "oh it's really there grin" because I had zero symptoms hmm talking about a student I had a midwifery work experience person at my first assessment felt weird confused I guess most of you would or have had found out the sex of your baby at the 20 weeks scan? Or if you chose to leave it as a surprise I would love to know how you prepared / are preparing for the new arrival, buying clothes, planning etc. smileflowersflowers

PeppasNanna Sat 18-Jun-16 00:14:48

Congratulations. flowers
With 2 of my dc i didn't know what gender they were. You buy white/yellow/ cream/green. Its no different.

MakiJ Sat 18-Jun-16 00:32:03

Thank you grinbiscuit I see, I'm not too keen on blue pink business so I will definitely follow your advice flowersstar

mellowyellow1 Sat 18-Jun-16 08:57:31

Relieved that there was only one baby in there!

VictoriaRoses Sat 18-Jun-16 09:15:42

When they started scanning I thought 'that looks like two separate blobs of baby, nah I can't be having twins!' A minute later the scanner said 'well here is baby one... And here is baby two!' We were shock they are here now and cannot imagine just having onesmile

MakiJ Sat 18-Jun-16 09:46:18

Wow it must've been such an extraordinary feeling to see two in you smile I was like oh at least one is there cool grin felt relieved - yes yes definitely smileflowers

WinterRose92 Sat 18-Jun-16 14:53:56

I felt relieved to see my baby there and also relieved that there was only one as my parents were convinced I'd be having twins! Though to be honest, I think I would have been pretty thrilled if there were twins in there! grin Felt very happy, on cloud nine after scan, very exciting!

Ihatechoosingnames Sat 18-Jun-16 14:55:30

Sounds weird but both times I was shocked there was really a baby there! Makes me sound a bit mad but I kept convincing myself all the tests were mistaken and I was imagining the symptoms grin seeing the scans was a mix of relief, shock, worry and happiness!

MakiJ Sat 18-Jun-16 15:12:42

smile sounds like everyone felt relieved happy shocked all mixed feelings but happy gringrin flowers my lovely partner was crying for joy blush

AdultingIsNotWhatIExpected Sat 18-Jun-16 15:16:39

relieved, but not "happy relieved" more "thank god it's okay but still traumatised by the stress" relieved.

I find scans really stressful, by the time they come around I'm convinced there's something wrong, and lets face it, the point of NHS scans is to look for problems. If you believed facebook you'ld think they were just put on for a fun and <3 <3 filled day out to "see your bub", but they're not, they're diagnostic, and as such I found them stressful and felt nothing more than relief afterwards

ThinkPinkStink Sat 18-Jun-16 15:18:46

Mainly I felt overwhelming relief that the little beastie was in there (until then I'd almost convinced myself it was some kind of mistake), I also felt quite proud of my fattish, oldish body for creating a little tiny being. I wept one solitary tear of pure relief.

Our 20 week scan (actually at 22 weeks) was much the same, except this time I was amazed at how clever the human body is, creating a tiny and fully functioning heart.

MakiJ Sat 18-Jun-16 15:22:50

So true the lady who was doubt the scan wasn't talking much for the whole time during the scan I was like ah... Is everything ok envy? I so agree, human body is incredible shocksmile

pulpi Sat 18-Jun-16 16:50:26

I didn't have many pregnancy symptoms and we'd been trying for a year, so when I saw him in there, his heart beating and his arms and legs moving, I damn near bawled. Avoided the full on ugly cry, but was definitely a weepy mess.

Laughed through the 20 week scan. He would just not stay still! DH was definitely more emotional.

skankingpiglet Sat 18-Jun-16 17:53:44

Shocked. DD was a happy accident and I don't think either DH or I believed it was really happening until we saw her wiggling around on the monitor. TBH I still had a little bit of me that doubted she was real until I held her... We both walked out of the scan stunned in astonishment.

This time we both let out a breath of relief there was just one in there! grin

Oysterbabe Sat 18-Jun-16 20:00:18

Overwhelming relief, I was sure there would be nothing in there.

MakiJ Sat 18-Jun-16 20:45:43

Oysterbabe smile** me too, I kept saying before the scan, oh I hope it's there confused

RaeSkywalker Sat 18-Jun-16 20:49:54

Relieved, happy, amazed! And worried about if DH was ok as I thought he'd be emotional, and it was too dark to see him. The scan room was tiny so he was sitting at the end of the bed gripping my ankles really tight because he couldn't hold my hand!

seasonticket Sat 18-Jun-16 21:51:34

Oddly numb.
I'd been lightly spotting the week before and cramping in my back so I thought I was out. When I pulled down my knickers before the scan, the spotting was much darker and there was way more of it, so I really thought it was game over.
She scanned me, said "oh look, there it is" and I thought "here we go, she's going to say there's no heartbeat," so I steeled myself for that. And then she said "and there's the heartbeat!" and I just looked at my partner in complete disbelief.
Then she said it was a week younger than my calculations which sent me into a tailspin, oh my god, was it growing??? and then she corrected herself. (I had IVF so it's not a matter of guesswork when it was fertilised) I only felt relief when we walked out to the car.

The second scan, a week later, was much more joyous. And I had a student with the doc, so I got an extra nerdy tour of my uterus and its features. The baby wiggled which was awesome.

thatsn0tmyname Sat 18-Jun-16 21:55:27

Relieved everything was OK, relieved it wasn't twins, nervous and excited for the future, started to plan how to tell my boss etc.

MakiJ Sat 18-Jun-16 22:10:39

Aww glad everything was OK seasonticket smile** flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now