Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Seeing the midwife

(9 Posts)
user1466087382 Thu 16-Jun-16 15:37:15

Hello,

This is my first pregnancy and I am 22 weeks pregnant. I've seen the midwife twice. Once was rushing through the booking-in form and once was 15mins to basically check my blood pressure and urine.

My next appointment is booked for 31st August by which time I'll be 33 weeks pregnant. Is this normal? How often have you all seen a midwife during your pregnancies? My pregnancy book keeps saying things like 'now you're seeing the midwife more regularly...' but wondered if it was just out of date.

I have booked to see the doctor at 25 weeks as advised. Am I supposed to book myself in with the midwife as well?

Thanks for advice!

SewSlapdash Thu 16-Jun-16 15:39:12

You should see the MW at 24 and 28 weeks in your first pregnancy. And yes, you are usually expected to book your own appointments. Don't your notes say next appointment at 25/40 (or 25/52 sometimes) or something like that?

SewSlapdash Thu 16-Jun-16 15:39:52

Oh, and BP and urine check is about all they do anyway.

isittimeforarainbow Thu 16-Jun-16 15:41:15

If you are seeing your GP at 25 weeks then that would be instead of a 25wk midwife appointment. Some areas do it that way. I would expect a 28wk appointment too

gamerchick Thu 16-Jun-16 15:47:00

I only tended to see mine more often in the third trimester. I preferred that than the last one where I was plagued with appointments and scans because of suspected problems. I much preferred the problem free pregnancies where they just dipped and took blood pressure then sent me on my way.

user1466087382 Thu 16-Jun-16 15:57:49

All fine then smile Thanks for reassurance!

Tomboyinatutu Thu 16-Jun-16 16:39:47

You are supposed to have your bloods taken at 28 weeks. You need to book the appointments they won't send them to you. It should say in your pregnancy record book when you need to have your appointments

skankingpiglet Thu 16-Jun-16 18:31:32

It depends on your area for the appointments I think, as my midwife has always booked me in for my next appointment when I see her. I've never needed to book it myself. However as you haven't had anything booked sooner than 33wks I'd be contacting my GP's surgery (where I see my midwife) and requesting your 24 and 28wk appointments.

whiteychappers Fri 17-Jun-16 14:20:52

You can ask for midwife appointments if you want them, ours as a weekly surgery at the GPs and I can ring her 24 hours a day. If you are ever worried about anything then don't just wait til your appointments xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now