Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ECV for first baby, anyone?

(16 Posts)
cheekstime Tue 14-Jun-16 21:48:02

There is only a 50% success rate...does any of you guys know whether having a first makes it more likely or less liekly to work? :/

DesignedForLife Wed 15-Jun-16 00:30:47

I don't know, but it's with investigating the risks of a ECV.
It's not a procedure I'd want done TBH.

AldrinJustice Wed 15-Jun-16 00:34:37

I had one...didn't work baby was lodged head up (or just being very stubborn). It's not gentle, take the gas and air if you're offered it. I didn't and I think I tensed up a little which probably didn't help. Your muscles are tighter in your first pregnancy compared to subsequent pregnancies so maybe less likely to work?

McBaby Wed 15-Jun-16 01:33:23

I had one no pain a over in a few seconds I would defiantly have it done again. I was already contracting so it was etc or straight to an emergency c section.

Fruitbatyogi Wed 15-Jun-16 06:15:28

I had it didn't work - but to be honest I recovered faster from my elective cs ( went home on tube 24hrs post op) than all of my friends did with mostly forceps/ventouse plus tears so I'm a bit hmm about recovery times from cs vs natural.

seven201 Wed 15-Jun-16 07:23:28

I had one recently and it didn't work. Glad I tried though!

Oysterbabe Wed 15-Jun-16 08:06:33

I wouldn't have it due to the risks of hurting the baby.

YellowPirate Wed 15-Jun-16 08:20:17

I had one and it worked (it took 2 doctors to have a go though). It wasn't pleasant but not too bad.

My waters broke 2 days later though, which I suspect may have been connected. I had to be induced, which ended in an emcs anyway.

Having said that, if this one turns out to be breech, I'd do it again.

Cakeymum Wed 15-Jun-16 09:26:04

I had one - didn't work, but they had to stop after about 45 seconds as DS heart rate plummeted to 60bps and I nearly ended up with a full blown emergency c section
Very scary
Had a planned C section a few days later, recovery was fine, was driving after 3.5 weeks.

OfDragonsDeep Wed 15-Jun-16 11:34:59

Nope, didn't want to risk it. Had planned c section instead & recovery etc was fine

Boosiehs Wed 15-Jun-16 11:36:55

Hell no. Risks way too high. I'd much rather have an ELCS

DollyBarton Wed 15-Jun-16 11:39:15

I wouldn't consent to one personally. I think many women are uninformed about the risks so make sure you understand fully about it before making your decision.

Pinkheart5915 Wed 15-Jun-16 11:39:33

I wouldn't have it done tbh, I'd worry about the risks too much.

VeryPunny Wed 15-Jun-16 11:42:00

Had one, it was fine but didn't turn the baby.

ArcticMumkey Wed 15-Jun-16 11:46:13

I was offered one in December but declined. Consultant was quite arsey with me but I insisted on a C section (which was amazing btw!) The risks were too high for me.

Only you can decide what's right for you and your baby so read up on both options.

Bravada Wed 15-Jun-16 12:06:16

I would not do it.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/a1542806-Are-people-aware-of-the-dangers-of-ECV

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now