Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does this sound like contractions?

(16 Posts)
Itsaplayonwords Tue 14-Jun-16 19:08:48

I'm 32+6, previous pregnancy my daughter was born at 28+1. I'm getting stomach cramps and lower back pain - all feels like period pain. It's a constant dull ache which occasionally, sporadically intensifies but not really for any length of time so I wouldn't say there are "contractions" to time. Am I being overly vigilant? Is this just normal? I also have a chest infection so I don't know what is me just feeling rubbish and backache from coughing. I don't trust my own judgement AT ALL.

jb007 Tue 14-Jun-16 19:11:07

When in doubt ring the labour ward. Good luck

limeandsoda93 Tue 14-Jun-16 20:24:09

Following because I'm having the same at 37+1. Midwife said it could be latent phase but often it can stop and start.

Itsaplayonwords Tue 14-Jun-16 20:34:54

The pain/discomfort has eased a lot. I was sorting out my daughter's dinner, bath and bedtime when it was really bad and I don't think that was helping. Now she's asleep I've been able to lay down for a bit and DH came home and rubbed my back which has also helped.

How long have you been feeling like this limeandsoda?

limeandsoda93 Tue 14-Jun-16 22:08:24

Since about midnight last night, I managed a couple of hours sleep in between rocking on my ball. I was due to see the midwife today so had a chance to ask then. It got really sore and then died down by about 4pm so I had another little sleep and then pain has returned within the last hour. I just don't feel any obvious 'tightening' which makes me doubt whether it is early labour or just everything getting ready.

Itsaplayonwords Wed 15-Jun-16 16:46:06

How are you doing today likeandsoda?

I'm off work today because of this chest infection and felt okay this morning but any time I get up and walk about now I'm getting the dull ache again. Feels like period pain.

limeandsoda93 Wed 15-Jun-16 17:04:07

Mine has definitely eased off today, slept through the night too! I'm getting the odd twinge now but not the constant ache anymore. I suppose at my stage this is all normal, with it stopping and starting. I hope you're feeling better soon, must be worrying since your first came so early and you're not at term yet. flowers

AlwaysDancing1234 Wed 15-Jun-16 17:06:50

It could well be the early stages or Braxton Hicks, if in doubt could you ring your midwife or labour ward for advice? As you've been feeling poorly as well they might be able to put your kind at rest.

Itsaplayonwords Wed 15-Jun-16 21:41:08

To be honest anything after 28 weeks has felt like a bonus! I can't believe I'm 33 weeks now as I never ever thought I'd get this far.

It's weird, the longer I'm up and doing something it seems to go off but when I first get up, even just to walk to the kitchen, the pain starts straight away. I wonder if I'm just feeling rubbish from the infection and it's making me sensitive to every little niggle. I might give the midwife a call in the morning and see what they say.

Are you all sorted lime if this is the start of it for you?

limeandsoda93 Wed 15-Jun-16 22:07:15

I finished work a couple of days ago and everything is ready so it would be fine if it was the start smile I'd speak to your midwife, even if they say they're not concerned at least you'll be reassured. Must be crap feeling ill AND having these pains as well, I hope you get some answers and feel more comfortable soon x

Ffion3107 Wed 15-Jun-16 22:11:31

Make sure you're still feeling movements. And if you're not happy, ring the labour ward! Good luck if baby decides to make an early appearance!

Itsaplayonwords Sat 18-Jun-16 08:39:44

Well they were definitely contractions! I'm currently on the labour ward - I've been having contractions since 7.30 yesterday morning (24 hours now) and fetal Fibronectin test was a high positive. They're doing all they can to delay it and prepare the baby for an early delivery. They've given me a deponit patch to slow down contractions so I'm going through periods of having none and periods of them being quite intense.

Just thought I'd update to help anyone who might be reading this experiencing the same - get it checked if you're not sure. (Also trying to kill some time!)

AlwaysDancing1234 Wed 22-Jun-16 13:31:08

How are you doing OP? Hope all ok flowers

Itsaplayonwords Thu 23-Jun-16 22:33:32

My daughter was born in the early hours of Father's Day at 33+4 weighing 4lb 8oz. She is currently in SCBU and doing well. Just need to get her feeding so she can come home.

ShowOfHands Thu 23-Jun-16 22:38:30

Congratulations. I hope she is home with you soon.

AlwaysDancing1234 Fri 24-Jun-16 13:53:55

Congratulations! I hope you are both recovering well and that your daughter will be out of SCBU and home with you very soon flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now