Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy and depression

(7 Posts)
elliej83 Mon 13-Jun-16 22:16:33

I wondered if anyone else had depression and found it had escalated through pregnancy?
I'm having a rough couple of weeks with it. On the one hand in so excited about the baby coming but I'm struggling to adjust to the changes in my body and really wanted someone to chat to about it more as its really bringing on depression symptoms again. Feel very down.

Emilyyyy Tue 14-Jun-16 00:20:21

How far gone are you? I had depression before getting pregnant and I've found the early pregnancy symptoms are making it worse. Your not alone, have you tried speaking to anyone around you or your midwife?

houseeveryweekend Tue 14-Jun-16 00:33:04

Yes. I had depression in my childhood but was mostly fine as an adult apart from when i was pregnant during which it seemed to all come back :-( Apparently that is quite common sadly. Ask your midwife if you can see the mental health midwife to discuss things, alternatively speak to your GP. xxx

elliej83 Tue 14-Jun-16 06:44:38

I'm 21 weeks now but still have morning sickness which in finding frustrating.
I've tried talking to my partner about it but he struggles to understand depression. He tends to have rational responses like well your having a baby of course you will out in weight and hormones are all over the place. I know it's just not that though..
I think I'll chat to the midwife as I have an appointment coming up in 2 weeks. I guess I just wondered what they can actually do for me as I've been through the system before so I wondered if anyone had any coping tips.

Marquand Tue 14-Jun-16 15:26:19

I have a history of depression (although it is well under control now), but it really flared up significantly in my first pregnancy.

It had to do with a meds adjustment that enabled me to fall pregnant (one of my meds had raised prolactin as a side effect, and that inhibited periods). I fell pregnant almost immediately, so couldn't really tweak meds. In addition to that it was just generally stressful. I was vomiting for 9 months solid, was nearly retrenched from work, and had to complete a thesis (which was done just before I gave birth). I immediately felt 100x better after giving birth, but that could have been because I finally stopped throwing up, I was out of the toxic work environment, and I didn't have to face the academic deadline any longer

I ensured my meds were stable for pregnancy #2, and had no issues. I'm now on pregnancy #3, still on meds, and while it has not been easy, I've not been depressed.

If you are in doubt, see a mental health professional. Although you'd never see a package insert that says that antidepressants are safe during pregnancy, my (female) gynae was adamant that a depressed mother was a bigger risk to the baby than the anti-depressants. I delivered two healthy babies in spite of being on meds, and I have faith that #3 would be the same.

SkyLucy Tue 14-Jun-16 17:24:28

Hi ellie, I don't have any amazingly-helpful words of wisdom but I just wanted to say that I empathise, and you're not alone. I have struggled with clinical depression since my teens...I came off medication a year ago and can honestly say it's been the worst year of my life. Thing is, I came off them to start TTC...and now I'm 5 weeks pg and terrified.

My decision to come off Citalopram was entirely personal (and heavily influenced by the fact I'd been on it for ten years), so I would totally echo Marquand - I spoke at length to my GP about being on Citalopram and being preggers, and he also said that a depressed expectant woman is a lot worse than a dosed-up one! (Or words to that effect...!)

It sounds like you have a bit of 'system-fatigue', which I also empathise with. I'm not sure what else anyone can do for me. I flagged it with a different GP on Friday, and she just looked perplexed! I started a new course of CBT last week but the therapist was truly awful, so I've stopped that. I'm going to investigate private counselling, and maybe support groups....my biggest 'trigger' is feeling alone. Seeing lots of other depressed people would really cheer me up! wink

My DH is an absolute sweetheart but doesn't cope when I'm ill. I'm struggling at the moment because I want to be excited about our news, but his preference is to pretend it's not happening until we're certain everything's okay. I understand this, but the silence isn't helpful when you're prone to too much introspection!

I wish you the very best of luck. I'm sure there are lots of us in the same boat so maybe this thread could be a bit of a support?

Marquand Wed 15-Jun-16 09:23:57

SkyLucy - Have you gone back onto your meds? If you're feeling so horrid now and have battled for year, there is a possibility that it won't go away.

At the best of times pregnancy can be a trying process. Nevermind the physical changes and issues (which is very much luck of the draw - I know women who have sailed through it)... Getting your head around becoming a parent is a massive issue. As you said, being depressed also puts strain on your partner, and this is definitely not a time to doubt your relationship (which is something depression might make you do).

I think going back on meds could be a good 'insurance policy' to protect yourself during your pregnancy. I had to up the dose of one of my meds early on in this pregnancy (I'm 32 weeks now), and I'm very thankful I did. I was taking a lot of strain, and the anti-depressants shielded me from falling into the pit.

Best of luck to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now