Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Extra calories in third trimester?

(16 Posts)
Nemz716 Mon 13-Jun-16 18:47:06

This is my first pregnancy and i will be in my third trimester in just over a week. I was wondering if people count the extra calories to make sure they get the exact amount, just eat till they feel satisfied or if you're going to stick with your normal portion sizes?

Thanks

Hensintheskirting Mon 13-Jun-16 18:51:09

You don't need an exact amount of calories. I would just eat so that you've had enough smile your body knows how much you need - you may find that you don't eat as much as the baby gets bigger and your stomach has less room.

Starspread Mon 13-Jun-16 18:52:19

Just eat normal amounts of food. If you're still hungry, have some more. If not, don't.

How otherwise would you usually decide how much to eat??

frikadela01 Mon 13-Jun-16 19:04:14

I've just carried on eating as normal. Although my portion size is tiny now compared with before pregnancy because baby is takin up all the room.

malvinandhobbes Mon 13-Jun-16 19:04:43

I find I need snacks. Not that I want snacks, but that I get very hungry and if I don't have the snack I'll get a bit light headed. However, meals are smaller because there is less room.

I couldn't bear to be counting calories right now.

Thefitfatty Mon 13-Jun-16 19:06:11

Oh god. I was bed ridden and had only just stopped throwing up. I ate what could get my hands on (which was usually snuck in mcdonalds to my hospital bed) both mine are thankfully fine.

FeckinCrutches Mon 13-Jun-16 19:06:22

Count what extra calories? Is there a new guideline? Surely you're just eating normally.

Eastend2015 Mon 13-Jun-16 19:51:26

My extra calories are either magnum ice cream or cake cake

quitecrunchy Mon 13-Jun-16 22:11:07

I'm counting calories (as ever) and eating exactly the extra and then some... I wouldn't necessarily worry about actively trying to get the extra 200 cals though, the baby will take what it needs either way.

DrWhy Mon 13-Jun-16 22:18:04

I stopped counting any form of calories or weight myself pretty much the moment I got a blue line. I'm permanently ravenous now but as others have said can't eat as much in one go. I'm trying not to eat total rubbish but I'm sure I'm meant more that I ought to - I figure I'll just give my body (and baby) what it wants and deal with the consequences later!

Salene Mon 13-Jun-16 22:18:37

They say you need 200 extra calories in last 4-6 weeks which is about 2 bits of toast.

The rest of pregnacy you only need your normal calorie intake.

quitecrunchy Mon 13-Jun-16 22:23:55

At the risk of derailing (sorry OP) just wondering when people found themselves only able to manage smaller portions? I'm 30 weeks and still eating like a horse blush

skankingpiglet Mon 13-Jun-16 23:45:00

I always eat to appetite now whether pregnant or not tbh. Sometimes I eat like a horse, other times like a bird. usually like a horse Unless you are obese I think just trust your body to tell you what it needs. I tried calorie counting many years ago and it just makes you miserable (personally it made me a bit obsessional too).

Oysterbabe Tue 14-Jun-16 08:06:36

I just ate everything normally.

DrWhy Tue 14-Jun-16 17:52:13

piglet I'm 28 weeks now and definitely can't stuff as much in - on the other hand I did probably eat oversize portions to start with!

Pinkheart5915 Tue 14-Jun-16 18:06:08

Just eat when your hungry your body knows what it needs.

In my last pregnancy and in this pregnancy ( now 32 weeks) I have just ate the same way i always have apart from the odd day when I've had a few more treats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now