Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Advice Please!!!

(13 Posts)
Blueberry87 Sun 12-Jun-16 19:18:46

I am 15 weeks pregnant, this is my first pregnancy and I feel worried about the position I am sleeping in. Before I got pregnant I always slept on my right side but have read in some places that this is dangerous for the baby - I now wake a lot in the night because I worry about the position I am sleeping in, is it really bad for baby or am I being silly. confused

DailyMailGOFuckOff Sun 12-Jun-16 19:24:35

I don't think it makes much difference so early on. But good practice to train yourself into left side sleeping for when the bump is much heavier - helps blood flow etc

I had a lovely body pillow that I could rest my head, bump and knees on that kept me comfy in position after being a tummy sleeper all my life

bessie84 Sun 12-Jun-16 19:32:26

im 36 weeks, i CANNOT for the life of me sleep on my left. i try, but turn back over to right, i asked midwife about it, its only preferred on left for blood flow, but nothing wrong with right hand side. and on your back is a no-no. and belly is a definate no. enjoy your sleep while you can, further along you get, it gets worse n worse. make most of it, like dailymail said, your baby is so little right now anyway, so enjoy while you can, before your the size of a small country. x

WellErrr Sun 12-Jun-16 19:36:04

Sleep how you like. Probably not on your tummy though.

Congratulations!

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Sun 12-Jun-16 19:45:42

What happens if you sleep on your right? I only knew you weren't supposed to sleep on your back

DailyMailGOFuckOff Sun 12-Jun-16 19:48:23

It just improves blood flow, so in high risk pregnancies or placenta issues can make an important difference though I highly doubt it makes much odds for the average healthy pregnancy

sepa Sun 12-Jun-16 19:51:47

It doesn't matter how you sleep. Baby will soon kick you into a comfortable position for them!

Congratulations on your pregnancy

Blueberry87 Sun 12-Jun-16 19:53:43

Thank you very much everyone this has made me feel much better smile

jb007 Sun 12-Jun-16 19:55:04

Left side is best but either side is fine. You shouldn't sleep on your back as the weight of the gravid uterus and baby can cause compression on big blood vessels that run up the back and cause a sudden drop in bp. This will make you feel a bit faint and will affect baby's heart rate

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Sun 12-Jun-16 19:56:21

Oh I see! In my first pregnancy I could only get comfortable on my left side but second time around I preferred my right for some reason. Both babies were fine smile

Vap0 Sun 12-Jun-16 21:08:44

Is it right that you will know when you can't sleep on your back anymore? I thought I read that somewhere, that you'll just know? I'm coming up to 28 weeks and am still on my back as it is the most comfortable position.

frikadela01 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:05:54

Sleep however you feel comfortably. I'm 36+5 and still sometimes sleep on my back, albeit slightly sat up to prevent heartburn. The sleeping on your left advice comes from 1 small scale study that found a slight correlation between stillbirth and sleeping position. It was in no way conclusive and correlation does not equal causation.

See what the nhs says about it here:
www.nhs.uk/news/2011/06June/Pages/mothers-sleeping-position-and-risk-of-stillbirth.aspx

helenatroy Sun 12-Jun-16 23:47:25

Maternity wear

I have an event this week and need to wear a nice dress. I am 18 weeks pregnant and would like some pants that smooth me out as well as support my bump. Don't judge am not thinking tight Spanx or anything but a little help would be great. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now