Advanced search

Camping in France at 30 weeks pregnant

(20 Posts)
Mrsbadger77 Sun 12-Jun-16 16:39:17

Hi I was just wondering what you thought about going camping ( Eurocamp so tent put up already and sleeping in a camp bed) at 30 weeks pregnant? I am worried for two reasons and on the verge of cancelling ( losing about £600) I need to decide soon or I will lose even more money.
1. I have SPD and can't walk very far and am quite uncomfortable at lot of the time and it's going to be worse by 30 weeks. Meaning poor DH is going to have to do all the running after 3.10 yo DD.
2. I am terrified of something happening in France eg early labour/ premature birth or other problems. I had a late loss last year and am suffering from anxiety in this pregnancy.

I just can't decide what to do. DH and DD will be disappointed but I am just getting stressed at the thought of it. Am I being silly?

SeashellHoarder Sun 12-Jun-16 16:51:28

Sorry to say I would be cancelling in your position. At 30 weeks last time I wanted to be in my own bed, near my own bathroom and cooking proper food in my own kitchen - that was with out SPD.
On top of this, with your concerns and previous late loss I would want to be near my local hospital if i had a problem, out just wanted to go and get checked over.
Good luck with the rest of this pregnancy. X

juneau Sun 12-Jun-16 16:55:21

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with going to France at 30 weeks pregnant unless a) my doctor had advised me not to, or b) I had a history of premature labour.

However, there is no way in hell that I'd have considered sleeping in a camp bed - far too uncomfortable. Once you get into the last stretch you're pretty big and cumbersome (at least in my recollection), and a comfy bed is essential. Given your SPD this goes double.

And no, you aren't being silly. You had a terrible experience with your last pregnancy and your anxiety with this one is entirely understandable. Could anyone else go in your place, perhaps? And if not, what does it say in the booking conditions about cancelling for medical reasons? Would your doctor write you a note about your SPD perhaps?

Sanch1 Sun 12-Jun-16 16:56:03

I'd be cancelling if it were me. I'm struggling enough in a normal bed with SPD, let alone camping! And walkibg too far is also a problem. With DD1 we decided against going abroad for the reasons you suggest. Could you swap to a caravan holiday in the uk instead?

Mrsbadger77 Sun 12-Jun-16 18:38:35

Thanks for your replies. It's good to know you don't think I'm being silly. I think I'll cancel tomorrow and see if the travel insurance will cover what we loose. Can't swap to holiday in uk unfortunately as I think the company only operates in mainland Europe.

BluePitchFork Sun 12-Jun-16 18:42:10

do you know already how far you will be from the toilets?
have been camping in similar circumstances and it was fine, we had a great time.

Mrsbadger77 Sun 12-Jun-16 18:56:13

Toilets are the least of my worries tbh! I think I would just have a bucket !

blackteaplease Sun 12-Jun-16 19:03:41

I went last year at 28 weeks with spd. the camping was ok, we were near the loos and dh ran after the eldest dc all day. I got lots of rest and sleeping on an airbed was not a problem.

But, sitting in the car for hours made my spd worse and I ended up on crutches for the remainder of my pregnancy.

whiteychappers Sun 12-Jun-16 19:13:16

If you cant claim on insurance, you could try selling it on one of those facebook sites xxx

blackteaplease Sun 12-Jun-16 19:19:49

You wouldn't be able to sell it, they check your passports on arrival at the campsite.

PickledLilly Sun 12-Jun-16 21:25:13

My DP had been trying to push me into this as well and I've put my foot down and said no, mostly because of the SPD. We've got a pretty decent SIM but if sleeping on a proper bed is agony I can only imagine the pain of trying to camp. I would cancel if I were you.

MrsRolly Sun 12-Jun-16 21:48:09

Can you upgrade to a caravan instead of a tent?

SpecialStains Mon 13-Jun-16 00:12:53

I went camping in Cornwall at 28 weeks, and will be camping in a weeks time at 34 weeks. We would have gone abroad but I'm high risk so couldn't get travel insurance, but we had a really lovely time.

I actually found our blow up camping mattress and double sleeping really comfy (and quite supportive of bump) and liked feeling cool at night.

However, I'm still quite active (we did lots of walking and cycling) and I have no experience of SPD. I took my pregnancy notes and the number of the nearest NHS maternity ward with me (and will do so again).

In your shoes, whether or not I went would depend on how much pain you're in with SPD and what your travel insurance covers. Could dh and dd go without you, and you stay at home to get some rest?

Lullabellesmell Mon 13-Jun-16 00:40:27

How would you feel about letting your partner take your child away and just enjoying the peace and quiet you'd get at home?

NovemberInDailyFailLand Mon 13-Jun-16 01:55:04

Lullabelle has it, I'm afraid. I'd be waving the older DC off with their father and sitting in bed with tea, my big maternity pillow and industrial bowls of cereal.

MsFiremanSam Mon 13-Jun-16 07:29:40

I'm going camping in France this year and I'll be 30 weeks - however I don't have SPD. Personally I find it quite relaxing as my two kids love it and are entertained constantly, so less for me to do. DH will do all tent-related jobs. But, in your position is completely understand you cancelling. Go with what will make you comfortable - you won't have a good time anyway if you're stressed and worried.

chipmonkey Mon 13-Jun-16 07:54:45

MrsB, I would probably still go but either camp near the toilets or bring a porta-potty.
Check where the nearest maternity facility is, in case of emergency. And make sure you have good medical insurance cover.

2nds Mon 13-Jun-16 08:00:26

I. Know this is going to sound weird but why cancel? Can he not just take the kids on holiday by himself and you could just relax at home?

2nds Mon 13-Jun-16 08:01:34

Oh I hadn't realised someone had already suggested it but yep that's what I would do.

Mrsbadger77 Mon 13-Jun-16 08:09:15

He has actually suggested taking my dd to France by himself but I don't feel comfortable with that. As I've said I suffer with anxiety and I don't think I could relax. We will use the money that the company refund us probably about £600 and go on a holiday nearer home in this country. Thanks for your suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now