Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it ok to put newborn straight in cot?

(29 Posts)
OhWhatAPalaver Sun 12-Jun-16 13:40:22

Just that really... we don't have a crib or Moses basket, would it pose any safety risk to put baby straight in to cot?
We do have a carry cot that came with our travel system but that will probably only be used downstairs.
I can't see it being a problem but thought I best check as I'm due in 5 days!

NeedACleverNN Sun 12-Jun-16 13:42:25

Yep. No problem at all if that's what you want. Just make sure you place baby's feet right at the bottom of the cot.
Some people prefer Moses baskets as they are portable and it's much smaller than a cot which can make the baby feel a bit more comforted

KateLivesInEngland Sun 12-Jun-16 13:48:10

Yes it's no problem at all. Once they're a few weeks old I'd recommend sleeping bags too, all my four kids slept better once in them and there's no need for the foot to the foot of the cot then either as they can't slip inside the bags.

OhWhatAPalaver Sun 12-Jun-16 13:59:07

Thanks smile Can you really use sleeping bags that early on? I was told 3 months by the midwife, would like to use them earlier as dd1 slept much better once we put her in them at 3 months.

skankingpiglet Sun 12-Jun-16 13:59:41

No reason why not, but the baby may take exception to sleeping in such a large expanse. DD wouldn't have tolerated it, but then she didn't like her Moses basket either for some weeks! She wanted to feel my breath on her as a minimum, and ideally have some kind of physical contact.

NeedACleverNN Sun 12-Jun-16 14:00:22

I put my ds in one at 2 weeks old.

It was from newborn so I didn't see no reason not to

lightcola Sun 12-Jun-16 14:09:06

As long as the sleeping bag isn't too big that the head can slip down sleeping bags are ok.

OhWhatAPalaver Sun 12-Jun-16 14:18:05

Ah ok, I'll try and get a couple of tiny ones then smile
Yeah dd1 didn't really seem to enjoy her Moses basket either, hence me not getting one this time round. Didn't seem to last long enough to be worth the money. Sleeping bags however were a godsend!

BossWitch Sun 12-Jun-16 14:20:16

I put mine in at 4 weeks it was great - she kept flinging her arms out in her sleep and hitting them against the side of the moses basket, so she was much happier in the cot. Sleeping bags just need to be small enough that their head can't slip down through the neck, so it will depend on how big your baby is!

NeedACleverNN Sun 12-Jun-16 14:24:21

We had this sort of thing for ds

m.direct.asda.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-ASDA-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=GEM448890

Goes right down to 0-6 months so in theory suitable for a new born

Nan0second Sun 12-Jun-16 14:31:51

Baby sleeping bags for 0 -6momths usually have a minimum weight of 4kg. The gro swaddles are brilliant.
We used a sleepyhead inside our main cot from the start (took one side off it and put it against our bed for a side sleeper cot for no extra money!!)

KateLivesInEngland Sun 12-Jun-16 14:51:09

Yes, like stated above - sleeping bags generally have a lb/kg guide depending on the brand. Each is different I think.

MrBensMrs Sun 12-Jun-16 14:59:19

What do people use before baby is big enough for a grobag? (First time mom and it a clue - baby due in October)

Littlelondoner Sun 12-Jun-16 15:11:38

Lots of people put baby straight into a cot. Only thing is some babies find it sloghtly harder to settle as they are not used to so much space and being able to move their arms and legs about. So deffo gp for a sleeping bag so no blankets kicked off.

Perhaps have a look at somsthing called a sleepie head. It is basicly a cushion the baby lies on to help them feel a bit more snug and secure. Lots fab reviews of it online have a look.

Artandco Sun 12-Jun-16 15:16:03

Mr - use a large muslin blanket and swaddle them

MrBensMrs Sun 12-Jun-16 15:35:24

Thanks art have seen some swaddle blankets in mamas and papas too - will investigate smile

Artandco Sun 12-Jun-16 15:39:14

You can YouTube how to swaddle even

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 12-Jun-16 15:51:10

I agree that newborns are used to feeling squashed into a foetal position so don't settle that well flailing about in an open space.

My babies loved to be swaddled but as a nanny, I have to follow current guidelines that say that swaddling is dangerous as it can cause overheating. I don't necessarily agree with this but It is not worth losing my job by not following current guidelines.

A sleeping bag maybe the answer but there are often lots of second hand moses baskets available if you have room for one.

Littlelondoner Sun 12-Jun-16 15:54:55

Look at the likes of aden and anais and loads other brands that have swaddle sleeping bags. You swaddle there arms whsn small then you can open up the arms in to a normal sleeping bag once they have grown a little bigger mrbenmrs

skankingpiglet Sun 12-Jun-16 17:12:33

Just noticed I posted a few seconds after you asked another question. I was obviously responding to the original OP.

ILostIt's idea of a second hand Moses is a great idea. You can pick them up for as little as £5, then just get a new mattress for it. We've just bought foam one for the new baby from John Lewis for £10, so they're not expensive. Buying a new Moses is one of my regret purchases from my pfb even though it'll see us through both babies as like you say OP they are in it for such a short length of time. It never occurred to me to buy second hand despite getting a lot of other items preloved. Facebook selling sites often have them come up.

On the sleeping bag front, I found DD didn't fit hers until she was well over a month. In hind sight I think she didn't really like them either sad I didn't realise however until she was 16mo and we moved her into a toddler bed with a duvet. The first night with the duvet was the first night she ever slept through... Proper sleeping through, 7-7. The most she'd managed before was 4 hours. They are incredibly convenient however, and save all the worry of putting them at the bottom of the cot or the covers being kicked off. Also fantastic if you need to travel in the evening as you can get ones with a sealable hole between the legs so the baby can be transferred from car seat/pushchair to cot without having to uncover them (and potentially wake them by sticking them on a cold mattress). A godsend for visiting friends for dinner etc.

TyneTeas Sun 12-Jun-16 17:22:58

I used a cot divider

www.safababy.com/products/safababysleeper.htm

Artandco Sun 12-Jun-16 20:12:42

I lost- swaddling isn't not recommended at all. It just says to used thin blankets as people often swaddled in thick fleece. Large muslin cloths are perfect material to swaddle and are what most pod things are made of also

www.lullabytrust.org.uk/swaddling-slings

OhWhatAPalaver Sun 12-Jun-16 20:59:12

Thanks everyone, I used to swaddled dd1 for a little while but she would always escape, hence the sleeping bags being a godsend! Have seen some sleeping bags that also double as a swaddle bag, might be worth looking in to.
The sleepyhead looks great as well but so expensive! Might well look in to second hand ones though depending how things go.
I remember dd1 much preferring to sleep in her rocker chair for a long time, perhaps that was down to the more enclosed space... Hmm.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 12-Jun-16 21:16:57

That makes more sense to me Artanco I think it would be fine to swaddle with a thin material. I relied on it with my babies when newborn. I have to avoid it at work though as advised unfortunately. The guidelines change all the time, it's difficult.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 12-Jun-16 21:21:41

Palaver you could always wait til baby arrives and see how happy they are in the cot. If I've learnt anything it's that all babies are different, so what worked with one might not work with another! Most 2nd hand Moses baskets have detachable washable covers and new mattresses fairly cheap to buy.

Good luck with new baby flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now