Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

pg straight away after mmc evac

(7 Posts)
FlyingSpaghettiM0nster Sun 12-Jun-16 10:02:49

I feel like such a donut right now. I had a mmc in May, blighted ovum sad I had an evac about a month ago, at 8 weeks. Hospital told us to wait until I've had a period before trying again. I wanted to wait a couple of months so I could recover properly and sort my emotions out, as May was a terrible month. However, we were careless and didn't use protection twice blush No excuse for it really. Anyway, I got a bfp yesterday. I'm torn between feeling really happy, nervous and scared. I'm worried that with me not having a period that it will make it much more risky and I might miscarry again. I feel so stupid, I'm 30 years old and married, I'm supposed to be responsible!

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what happened? Have I made a big mistake by being so careless or could this pregnancy go absolutely fine? I appreciate anyone helping me out here, thank you! grin

GreenCactus3 Sun 12-Jun-16 10:08:49

I had a mmc in March as was told to wait till after my first period to try again but when I as why the doctor simply said there was no medical reason it was just to make it easier to date your next pregnancy.

FlyingSpaghettiM0nster Sun 12-Jun-16 10:20:41

Thank you GreenCactus3 that's really reassuring! I have been having an internal panic since yesterday. Thank you though, that does make me feel much better. Dreading having the conversation with my GP... I have my follow-up appointment after the evac in a couple of weeks, that should be interesting confused

GreenCactus3 Sun 12-Jun-16 10:31:37

We were exactly the same after the mmc we weren't very responsible, and I suppose a bit eager to be pregnant again but it took us a few months. I'm sure your not alone and the GP will be fine :-)

Whatsername17 Sun 12-Jun-16 11:19:19

No one has the right to criticise you. Not even your gp. My best friend miscarried naturally at 6 weeks and then fell pregnant immediately and her dd was perfectly fine. Do not worry. The slightly tough thing that the first day of your miscarriage will be used to date your pregnancy. There is a thread for those of us pregnant after a loss. Come and join us x

FlyingSpaghettiM0nster Sun 12-Jun-16 11:23:18

Thank you Whatsername To be honest, I don't think the date of the miscarriage will actually be that far out, maybe only be a few days. I will look for the thread thank you smile

Clarab0w Sun 12-Jun-16 18:35:18

Hi FlyingSpaghettiM0nster - I had (am am still in) the exact same boat - had an ERPC (like a D&C, same thing as your 'evac' procedure I think?) for a MMC and we decided to just see what happened without contraception...which turned out to be a pregnancy IMMEDIATELY after, got my BFP just over 3 weeks after the miscarriage.

I'm now 33 weeks pregnant and everything is absolutely fine! Please don't beat yourself up - straight after the MMC nurses and docs said the only reason to not try straight away was to give yourself time to grieve but there's no medical reason not to try again straight away. It's a new pregnancy so basically everything resets, apparently - no increased chance of miscarriage or anything like that; if you can conceive your body can support the pregnancy.

The only thing that can be a bit of a drama is the tests at the beginning to make sure it's a completely new pregnancy - a BFP so soon after a MC can sometimes actually be a sign that there's still some tissue (sorry, horrible word) left in your uterus that's causing remnants of pregnancy hormones to give you a positive test (rather than a new embryo). I had a slew of blood tests and ultrasounds at the very beginning to confirm that it was actually a new pregnancy. Happily, it was, and everything's been absolutely fine so far (except the very normal anxiety about it going wrong again...physically it's been perfectly straightforward).

Everything crossed for you. Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now