Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Measuring small

(11 Posts)
verytiredmummy1 Fri 10-Jun-16 11:13:50

I'm measuring a few weeks behind what I should be but growth of baby on scans is fine. Anyone else had this? Is there anything I can do?

mellysam Fri 10-Jun-16 11:23:04

Are the measurements that are small the ones where the midwife measures your bump with a tape? If so I wouldn't pay too much attention to these, a couple of weeks ago i saw my midwife in the same week, one day I measured 28cm, three days later I measured 26cm hmm not the most accurate process
I'd go by the scan measurements and if these are fine then try not to worry

verytiredmummy1 Fri 10-Jun-16 12:08:00

Yes it's bump measurements that are small X

frikadela01 Fri 10-Jun-16 12:26:06

My bump has been measuring small for a couple of weeks (36+3 and really don't look it) but I've been having regular growth scans and everything is measuring spot on. Midwife said bump measurements aren't an exact science becasue theres so much room for error.

danielleg2801 Fri 10-Jun-16 12:55:50

I am 35 weeks tomorrow and had my midwife app yesterday and bump is apparently measuring 29cm which is really small. I've been having scans from 25 weeks and every time I'll get an ultrasound the baby measures fine! The tape measure is not exact as everyone grows and carry's their bump differently x

pinkladyapple Fri 10-Jun-16 15:32:05

Yep I had this. First time I was measured I was too small so I was sent for a scan and baby was above the central percentile. Then the second time I was measured I had grown too much so got sent for another one - baby was growing fine then too. My midwife also said it's incredibly unreliable - different midwives can get different readings. Fluid and position of baby and all sorts can affect it.

albazavi Fri 10-Jun-16 15:36:23

I measured small in the last few weeks and they couldn't get me in for a scan to check. Ds ended up coming almost exactly on time and a really healthy weight.

When I went into labour the head midwife asked why they were worried it was measuring small because my bump looked the perfect size.

How many weeks along are you? From lots of other mums, you can go down in size once the baby drops.

If everything is fine with the scans I wouldn't be too worried!

verytiredmummy1 Fri 10-Jun-16 16:13:45

Baby has dropped (I think!) and I'm 32+6. The midwives at he hospital have frightened me!

CottonSock Fri 10-Jun-16 16:20:24

I measured 36 on Tuesday and 40 today. I think bump measurement is a bit pointless.

TwirlyHoos Sat 11-Jun-16 01:44:52

I measured 2-3 weeks behind all the way through. Ds cane out at 40+3 at 9lb4, weighed after a massive poo! I think these measurements are pretty meaningless!

Newmrs22 Sat 11-Jun-16 09:09:55

Yes, don't worry if scan was fine. I had this the other day at 30+1 and was told I was measuring 4 weeks behind by a different midwife to normal. Never measured small before that. Baby's position can affect it and different midwives measure differently. The bump measurements are really just a basic screening tool because a very small number of people will have a baby that's growing small or low fluid levels and need further monitoring, but most babies are absolutely fine at the scan.
If scans are fine and you keep being told you're small, it might just be you carry small. Some women have a baby that's tucked up and hidden away in there smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now