Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Asthma

(13 Posts)
mrsbee2be Thu 09-Jun-16 22:47:52

Currently 22 weeks and really struggling with breathing/asthma....

Childhood I was pretty bad, hospitalised lots but throughout adulthood I've been a mild asthma sufferer, attacks only if it's around change of season or near triggers (fur) and day to day only really use an inhaler if riding my bike (but only really since pregnant)

But within the last 2 weeks, can't walk anywhere with using an inhaler, even walking upstairs at home or across the office at work... I've had on average 3/4 bad attacks a day, today it's been any time I move I'm sure! and I'm really really struggling... and I feel like total crap with it too. can't concentrate at work as I'm trying to focus on breathing properly.

Been to the doctors, who didn't seem worried and gave not much advice other than keep using an inhaler when needed hmm (thanks for that) and maybe use a preventer but her medicine book didn't recommend it.

Any other pregnant mums suffering? Anything you can advise to help me feel better?

nuggles Thu 09-Jun-16 23:12:15

Sorry to hear you're suffering really badly with your asthma. Do you suffer with hayfever too?

I've just been back and forth to the asthma nurse the last month with similar symptoms (I'm 27 weeks) and been given a spacer to try and take in more of both my reliever and preventer.

She also told me to take the reliever before taking the preventer which seems to have made a difference. Have you tried using a spacer too? She also told me hayfever is making mine worse at the moment.

It's that much harder dealing with asthma when everything is so squashed up inside.

The only advice I can offer is keep taking your preventer - I took it twice daily in my first pregnancy and the same now with this pregnancy. And try using a spacer if you have one.

Or go back to see a different doc for a second opinion. I hope it gets better!

RockCrushesLizard Fri 10-Jun-16 02:06:23

An inhaled preventer is essential if you are using your inhaler that often - asthmatic mums everywhere are taking them. The dose of the drug that makes it into your blood stream is very small, as it mostly stays in your lungs, and there is no evidence that inhaled steroids affect the baby.
Uncontrolled asthma can be fatal, and as your baby grows and your lungs get more and more squashed, your breathlessness will get worse.
Please go to a different GP, as the risk of harm from not using a preventer far outstrips the tiny theoretical risk of using one.

DesignedForLife Fri 10-Jun-16 04:44:58

You sound like me in my first pregnancy - went from mild asthmatic to having severe attacks an using reliever constantly. What inhalers are you on? You deff need a proper review ASAP and probably a course of steroids tablets to get you back on track. I had to go on a course of tablet steroids and got changed to a more powerful preventer, and it turned it around. DD is now a lively 2 year old and shows no side effects of the medicines whatsoever. (They are very low risk anyway).

Please please please call for an emergency appointment in the morning, or go and see your practice nurse - most surgeries have handed over asthma care to the nurses and they are fully trained to sort you out.

Uncontrolled untreated asthma is seriously dangerous at any time, let alone when you're pregnant. Go get reviewed again now otherwise you're at high risk of hospital admission.

For what it's worth, now I'm on a good preventer (seretide) I've dropped down to the lowest dose of it, and now in my second pregnancy at 30 weeks and haven't had any problems.

mrsbee2be Fri 10-Jun-16 07:14:02

Thanks guys, yep will def ring up and go back and ask to see the asthma nurse ASAP.

I feel like I'm constantly on the edge of an attack, the slightest thing can set me off, laughing, crying (doing a lot of that at the moment) and even getting out of bed.

Also having a pretty crap time as just started a new job, although they knew I was pregnant before I started I feel I can't say that I'm ill! I'm spending my days feeling horrendous cos I can't breathe and covering the fact that I'm not right but it really affecting my work. I work in a really open plan office and my coughing has been commented on a few times.....I'm really wishing I hadn't changed jobs now as my old employer knew I was asthmatic and was very sympathetic!

RockCrushesLizard Mon 13-Jun-16 20:04:43

How are you getting on now Mrs?

Jeezypeepers Mon 13-Jun-16 23:42:05

Hi Mrs, did you manage to get in to see your GP? I'm an HCP with a special interest in respiratory and just wanted to add my agreement to Rock's advice regarding your steroid/preventer inhaler - perfectly safe to use in pregnancy smile. Your GP may even advise you double up your dose of steroid inhaler to get to through this rough patch. Hope you feel better soon!

mrsbee2be Tue 14-Jun-16 21:55:40

Hi sorry I'm here.... A bit better thanks, I saw a different doctor yesterday who after witnessing me sobbing in the surgery prescribed me some antibiotics for a chest infection and upped the inhalers too. Originally I thought it was just asthma but taking the Antibiotics seems to be making a little bit of different too.
I'm still quite short of breathe, but nowhere near as wheezy, just more coughy which I'm hoping the tablets will help clear up!

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Tue 14-Jun-16 22:00:26

My asthma got worse in pregnancy, the dr advised me to up my dose of the preventer, and also prescribed me some hay fever meds as that was making it worse too.

Just a thought but have you had your iron levels tested? As breathlessness can be a sign of anaemia too.

The good news is my asthma had gone back to normal as soon as I gave birth both times.

mrsbee2be Tue 14-Jun-16 22:45:10

Yes had my bloods done and came back fine, I've also realised gaviscon was bothering me a bit soon changed to ranitidine & seems a bit better.....

I think it just another one of them things to add to the list if things that sucks about being pregnant, never again!

DesignedForLife Wed 15-Jun-16 00:23:56

Reflux/indigestion can upset asthma too, so getting on top of that should help! Glad you're feeling better, do keep going back to GP if you're still struggling.

user1469617289 Mon 08-Aug-16 12:49:13

Hi mrsbee2be
Sorry to hear your struggling with your asthma. Have you ever though about getting an air purifier? I know a few people who have them in their bedroom and it has bought them some relief. Basically they work by pulling in all the dust and allergens from the air. The HealthPro 250 is supposed to be the best. Good luck, hope you manage to find a solution.

user1470756774 Fri 12-Aug-16 12:01:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now