Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Rib pain

(9 Posts)
MargaretCabbage Wed 08-Jun-16 20:34:25

Currently 27 weeks pregnant and experiencing really excruciating pain below my right ribs. It's a constant burning and stabbing pain, and nothing seems to help. It's not quite as painful if I'm lying down but sitting or standing is agony. I can't concentrate on anything at work.

I did go and get checked out to rule out Dr Google's suggestions of pre-eclampsia, a UTI and gallstones, so it appears to just be one of those horrible pregnancy things I have to live with.

Any suggestions for anything that might help relieve it? And any hope that it might go away quickly?!

NickyEds Wed 08-Jun-16 20:58:34

Is your baby breech?

seven201 Wed 08-Jun-16 21:07:32

My baby is breech (I'm 38 weeks) and I do have bad rib pain - sneezing is soooo painful! Her head has now dropped down a few inches and it is so much more comfy. Maybe it's the same for you? It's good you got checked out by your dr as when I started reading your post I did think pre-eclampsia, which I have! Hopefully your baby will just move a bit and it won't hurt so much.

MargaretCabbage Wed 08-Jun-16 22:02:13

I've got no idea on the position at the moment, I haven't been told and can't figure it out for myself at the moment. Fingers crossed it's a jammed limb that will move soon.

KayTee87 Wed 08-Jun-16 22:20:56

I have the same on my left hand side it really is agony, I've been in tears with it. It's the pressure from your growing uterus & baby on your ribs pushing them outwards ( that's what gp said to me) can be worse on one side due to baby's positioning.
Prenatal yoga helps me, as does going on all fours, stretching my arms up - anything that creates space in your rib cage basically. I'm now almost 34 weeks and have had a bit of an improvement due to baby dropping down a bit. When sitting at work make sure you're in a chair that the back moves so you can lean right back to relieve the pressure, try and get something quite high to rest your feet on and move around as much as possible.

Osirus Thu 09-Jun-16 00:09:27

I'm 38 weeks and frequently get pain under my right rib. Baby is head down though so I think it's a foot! Just have to grin and bear it!

ForTheLoveOfSocks Thu 09-Jun-16 11:12:21

Without seeming like the poo troll, are you constipated? I'm pg with DC#3 and I've had rib pain with all of them. Getting things moving helped me. And also not wearing a bra as much as possible.

When I do get it bad, I find an ice pack can help relieve some of the pain and discomfort

MargaretCabbage Fri 10-Jun-16 16:38:31

Definitely not constipation, luckily that's one thing I haven't been suffering with. I have been trying to take my bra off whenever I'm in the house, and stretching now. It's constant but hasn't been as severe as it was. It's going to be a long three months!

shelbTa Sun 12-Jun-16 08:39:30

Yeah this is me - only on the left. Really sore. Only helps to lie down and stop eating too when it hurts.

You have my sympathies!

X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now