Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nesting - seriously?!

(35 Posts)
Luckystar1 Wed 08-Jun-16 20:18:21

I'm 33 weeks pregnant with DC2. For the last few weeks I have had absolutely overwhelming nesting urges. To the point where I can't settle at all!!

I mean I am so tired and busy with DS (19 months) that I don't actually get much done, but I'm finding it completely over the top and I'm almost in tears constantly thinking about it!!!

I didn't have this with DS so it's so alien. Anyone else? Is this normal?!

Slothlikesundays Wed 08-Jun-16 20:34:28

Nesting away over here. Just cleaned all my doors and door frames and trying to relax in front of the tv whilst resisting the urge to clean the fireplace. Also cried to dp at the weekend as the house "wasn't perfect, and I need it to be completely perfect" 😳

PeppaPigStinks Wed 08-Jun-16 21:51:21

I am - and I am getting frustrated I cannot get anything done.

Luckystar1 Wed 08-Jun-16 21:56:29

Oh very pleased that I'm not alone!

KayTee87 Wed 08-Jun-16 22:24:51

God I'm the same, almost 34 weeks and cannot stop cleaning and tidying even when exhausted from work all day and no sleep. Today I had a really long day at the office then came home and cleaned the whole house even though it was boiling and I was so covered in sweat by the time I'd done I had to go for a cool bath.

WellErrr Wed 08-Jun-16 22:26:22

I'm 30 weeks and I can't stop fucking cleaning. DH thinks it's hilarious.

MotherOfGlob Wed 08-Jun-16 22:36:09

I'm 40+3 and I've just painted the skirting boards.

lilygirl81 Wed 08-Jun-16 22:49:59

I'm 32+4, meant to be taking it easy due to irritable uterus, got discharged from hospital this morning, and have built 2 ikea units, dusted, tidied and hoovered because it's almost painful to sit still when I can see things needing done! I always thought nesting sounded nice, wandering about, gently cleaning and preparing, I was not prepared for the strength of feelings!

kiki22 Wed 08-Jun-16 22:57:48

I'm always cleaning at the best of times, my nesting seems to be organisation I've pulled everything out of every drawer and cupboard in the house at least 3 times also have a strong urge to chuck things we don't immediately need away even though we will need these things at some point and can not afford to replace them confused

KayTee87 Wed 08-Jun-16 23:31:25

It's so strange how strong an urge it is isn't it?? In the past couple of weeks I've cleaners the outsides of the Windows (window cleaner unreliable), painted the nursery and helped build all of the furniture. I should be physically exhausted as I'm getting no sleep but still can't stop the restless urge.

Luckystar1 Thu 09-Jun-16 06:28:36

I've decided to outsource! I've hired a cleaner to do a deep clean this month and next (and possibly once when the baby is here).

kiki22 Thu 09-Jun-16 08:22:40

Oh I'm going to do that too luckystar1 thought I'm doing it for the day before my ELCS then the week after coming for a shorter clean.

KayTee87 Thu 09-Jun-16 09:16:13

I recently got rid of my cleaners as they just weren't doing it right and it wasn't getting rid of the restless urge to do it myself - maybe get them back once baby is born wink

superwormissuperstrong Thu 09-Jun-16 09:28:19

40+1 and todays task is building ikea flatpack while DH is out... (Its not urgently required for the baby or anything but I just can't bear to look at the boxes in the spare room!)

ItsyBitsyBikini Thu 09-Jun-16 09:31:11

Do any of you want to nip to mine? I'm 40+2 and feeling very lazy! No nesting here at all which is probably why my child does not seem to want to come out.

lilygirl81 Thu 09-Jun-16 09:36:21

I feel sorry for my DH, I'm normally really slovenly, but now even a sock that missed the laundry basket is giving me the rage, and don't get me started on yesterday's jeans not being hung up yet....

KayTee87 Thu 09-Jun-16 10:21:45

itsy I will be round after work, there's nothing left to clean at mine anymore! My desk at work is so clean and tidy too haha!

ItsyBitsyBikini Thu 09-Jun-16 10:39:02

Thanks kaytee! I've just done some washing and sorted out the changing table in baby's room so feel a bit better. I think I must have nested in the 2nd trimester as that's when we moved house and I was constantly cleaning, decorating, building furniture etc.

CarlGrimesMissingEye Thu 09-Jun-16 16:34:18

I went into labour scrubbing the bathroom. For the second time that day.

StopShoutingAtYourBrother Thu 09-Jun-16 16:41:01

Oh yes! When I was pregnant with DD1 I turned into a cleaning looney and I refused to go further than about 500 metres from my home (somehow going any further than that felt WRONG)! 😄

Luckystar1 Thu 09-Jun-16 17:21:47

Can I do a weird straw poll?? I didn't have this with DS and wondered if those who had it (or those who have it and know what they're having) had it stronger with one sex than the other?

KayTee87 Thu 09-Jun-16 17:35:15

I'm having a boy but he's my first so nothing to compare this urge to.

CarlGrimesMissingEye Thu 09-Jun-16 17:55:38

Stronger with daughter than son

malvinandhobbes Thu 09-Jun-16 18:01:35

I am having a girl and experiencing obsessive nesting. It would have been fine if I'd limited myself to cleaning skirting boards, but instead I've launched a massive redecorating project. I've got builders all over the house doing dozens of different things and then every night after they leave I have to mop and dust.

It is completely out of character. I did not have a touch of it with my boys.

Bee182814 Thu 09-Jun-16 18:02:08

I didn't have this with DS but I'm 29 weeks pg - a girl this time - and it's so bad. I'm dead on my feet with tiredness as DS us a bad sleeper but I just keep going with cleaning and washing things. So maybe it's something to do with the hormones and sex of the baby!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now