Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Am I being silly?

(14 Posts)
Birdlet Mon 06-Jun-16 13:04:27

Found out I'm pregnant last week. According to the date of my last period in 6 weeks. Noticed I was bleeding after going for a wee about an hour ago - not a huge amount, just when wiping (sorry if tmi!) so called 111 who advised me to call docs surgery for emergency appt.

My mums going to take me - don't want to tell my hubby yet as today's his first day training at a new job and I don't want to worry him or make him feel like he's got to leave early (we live in Derby but his training is in Loughborough so not like he can just pop home on his break!)

Just not sure if I've been a bit silly by causing all this fuss? I don't think** it's a miscarriage, there's really not that much blood, no clots and I'm not having any cramps. But then on the other hand I've felt ridiculously nauseous all week but feel absolutely fine. Think I'm just looking for some advice and/or handholding confusedblush

Sardi28 Mon 06-Jun-16 13:29:52

You've done the right thing and don't feel silly. I'm 40+4 , but my best mate had exactly the same as you, they booked her in for early scan and all was fine. Her DD 2 is now 2 weeks old smile

Just try as much as you can to relax and maybe speak to midwife as well as GP.

Xx

Birdlet Mon 06-Jun-16 13:40:49

Thanks Sardi I think I needed to hear that a) I'd done the right thing and b) it might not be what I think I automatically thought it was at first!

Just got to wait till 5:30 now and see what the doctor says. Will ask about a midwife too but the doctors receptionists round here are a bit dragon-like so I won't hold out too much hope!

BowiesJumper Mon 06-Jun-16 14:11:54

I bled quite a bit in my first trimester. Some days it was like a light period, others it was just a bit when I wiped. On one occasion it was heavier. My doc referred me to the epu for a scan at 6wks and all was well. It's what they're there for so don't feel you're making a fuss.
Good luck.

BowiesJumper Mon 06-Jun-16 14:12:46

Oh and my son is now 7 months. If I recall, the bleeding stopped around 13wks.

Birdlet Mon 06-Jun-16 14:35:50

BowiesJumper thank you! Just a waiting game now. Might see if I can sleep for a couple of hours to pass the time more quickly. Think I'm worrying more than I usually would because I've not spoken to my hubby about it, it's a huge relief though to hear that bleeding doesn't automatically mean MC 😥

MyBreadIsEggy Mon 06-Jun-16 14:39:11

Don't feel silly!
I've had exactly the same as you describe, a bit of blood when wiping in the early stages of both pregnancies.
I went to my GP who referred me to the early pregnancy unit at the hospital to be scanned and make sure everything is well.
Both times it's turned out to be nothing to worry about, but it is scary when you see it, I knoe!
DD is 13 months now, and I'm 18 weeks pregnant with DC2 smile

Birdlet Mon 06-Jun-16 16:38:59

Thanks Eggy every time I see another message on this or other posts about it happening and the pregnancy still being successful I feel a bit better - it's still bloody scary though!

It does seem to be much less than earlier, and I'm back to not being able to stomach the thought of a cup of tea so hopefully that's a good sign smileconfused (my fave thing in the world is a nice brew - can't believe of all the things out there that could turn my stomach, it'd be tea!)

Birdlet Mon 06-Jun-16 19:57:32

Been to the doctors, she took my blood pressure, temperature and measured my blood oxygen. All normal. Doctor also felt my tummy and said all feels normal. She suspects it's NOT a miscarriage as I've had no pains, the bleeding has slowed right down and I've not passed any clots. I'm also still having the same symptoms (nausea, tiredness, painful boobs, emotional).

Have been referred to the gynaecology assessment unit for a scan but not until next Tuesday - in the words of the Doc, 'better to wait a week than to send you now when we'd struggle to see anything and have you worrying about it'

So just a case of wait and see. Feel much better though smile

BowiesJumper Fri 10-Jun-16 21:11:07

Good luck!

Birdlet Tue 14-Jun-16 10:35:06

Thanks BowiesJumper

Just back from the scan now. Spent the last week convinced it'd be bad news so we were over the moon when the sonographer said everything is as it should be and showed us the flickering heartbeat! grin now I can finally start to believe I'm going to be a mummy grin

somortified78 Tue 14-Jun-16 12:47:27

Not silly at all. I had bleeding with two out of three pregnancies. I would get an early scan to be on the safe side. If you do keep spotting, it can be scary but believe me when I tell you it is very, very common. Health care providers are usually very good about it and let you go back for scans to reassure you as pregnancy progresses.

Suziesome1 Tue 14-Jun-16 15:42:12

Congratulations flowers hope it's all smooth sailing from now smile

elliej83 Tue 14-Jun-16 18:21:00

You've done the right thing I had blood constantly when I wiped to start and in the end they said everything looks fine no sign of a bleed so if it's in your pants come back but don't worry about wiping. I know this isn't the same for everyone thou so always best to get checked xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now