Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Missed my downsyndrome test

(8 Posts)
sophieeleanorxx Mon 06-Jun-16 08:55:19

So annoyingly missed the Down syndrome test as I just started a new job and was not allowed anytime of in the first three weeks.
I've just got a letter through the door that there's another test I can have up to 20 weeks is this just another blood test?

Britnyspears Mon 06-Jun-16 09:00:24

By law you are allowed time of for ante natal appointments. You need to make this clear to your boss /HR team.
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

sophieeleanorxx Mon 06-Jun-16 09:04:47

Yeah I know but I haven't told them I was pregnant yet wanted to leave it a little bit longer. Thank you xx

WellErrr Mon 06-Jun-16 09:07:52

I opted out of all downs screening. It's not an exact result and can cause huge amounts of stress.

I wouldn't be bothered if it was me.

Mermaidmagic Mon 06-Jun-16 09:10:42

I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was 5 months gone with DS2 & I never had any screening. No one seemed overly concerned and it was another thing not to stress over.

sophieeleanorxx Mon 06-Jun-16 09:20:31

So should I just leave it? As I'm not really fussed either way. Do I need to give them a call X I

CarrotVan Mon 06-Jun-16 09:58:01

It's a blood test that looks at 4 specific hormones and is done between 16-19 weeks I think. It's up to you whether you have it. If the result wouldn't affect your choice to continue with the pregnancy then you might still want to know so that you can prepare yourself as best possible

primarynoodle Mon 06-Jun-16 12:46:51

The quad test isnt as accurate as the nuchal test and if you won't get the results til near your 20 week scan you might be better off waiting and seeing if any soft markers are seen on the scan? Alternatively you could pay for a nifty test which is 100% accurate but very expensive!

As a pp said though, by law they have no right to stop you going to antenatal appointments - i would complain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now