Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Driving in early labour

(14 Posts)
GenevaJoey Sat 04-Jun-16 22:08:54

Just a strange question.. OH and I share a car. We live semi-rurally, with one bus route near by, but I find buses exhausting at the moment. I'm about 15 min drive from the nearest supermarket, and 35 minute drive from my swiming pool, and 15 minute drive from the hospital. I am 39+5 weeks and at the moment I am using the car and OH is driving/cycling to work. My question is, if I were to go into labour, do you think I would be able to drive? I am loathe to give up swimming, my doctor advises I continue as long as possible, but not sure if I am "safe" to get back if contractions were to start/waters break while out. It would take OH a long time (3+ hours on public transport) to come and get me from swimming pool. A taxi would be v expensive. Should I just stay at home until the baby comes (which is pretty limiting).

So, am I OK to continue driving while I am pregnant? Were you able to drive safely once things had started?

Dixiechick17 Sat 04-Jun-16 22:38:54

It's impossible to know as it depends entirely on how quickly you progress. I didn't experience early labour, my first contraction was intense and they were immediately 2-3 mins apart. I had to kneel in the footwell of the car to the hospital as I couldn't sit let alone drive.

Northernlurker Sat 04-Jun-16 22:46:49

When I was in having dd1 the midwives had to go do a carpark delivery for somebody who had driven themself there and then been so near birthing they couldn't get out of the car.

It sounds like this is your first baby so yes I reckon you'd been fine though you might want to stop whilst contracting. Not worth worrying over or staying in the house for days on end imo.n

IamChipmunk Sat 04-Jun-16 22:51:29

My contractions started in the morning, they were about 20 mins apart and just like strong period cramps. I went shopping during the day including out in the car twice, although only about 15 mins away from home.
They didn't get 'exciting' until about 9pm that night.
DS was then born at 2.30am in the morning.
so I would agree with the PP, it depends what kind of labour you have. I wouldn't rule out going out in the car but I might if I had had a very quick labour before! Or if things felt intense very quickly...

LBOCS2 Sat 04-Jun-16 22:56:46

I definitely could have driven in early labour both times, but no way once it was established.

FellOutOfBed2wice Sat 04-Jun-16 22:59:20

I drove at the beginning of labour no problem (started about 1pm and I just thought it was Braxton Hicks) but by 5pm I couldn't drive anymore and it was clear it was real. So I did have plenty of warning, but all labours are different. Unfortunately. At our NCT class we were told not to drive while in labour but (especially with your first baby) I didn't even really realise.

Junosmum Sat 04-Jun-16 23:39:41

I couldn't have driven in early labour. My waters broke before contractions started but when they did (about 30 mins later) they were immediately 5mins apart and within 4 or 5 of them I had to drop to my knees and breath through them. Driving would have been very dangerous.

hopeful31yrs Sat 04-Jun-16 23:45:28

If you had an accident your insurance would be invalidated. Therefore, no. If you are in pain and driving you are putting yourself, baby and other road users/pedestrians at risk

TrojanWhore Sun 05-Jun-16 00:02:58

"If I were to go into labour, do you think I would be able to drive? "

No, it's a fucking awful idea. You cannot predict when you will have. Strong contraction (even if you think it's early on) and if you are at the wheel it could kill you, your baby and passers by.

Beansprout30 Sun 05-Jun-16 00:23:57

Is there nobody else who could be on standby? I think I'd arrange a taxi if I were in your shoes

Fourormore Sun 05-Jun-16 00:25:50

Id call your insurance company and ask. I can't imagine you'd be covered. I wouldn't risk it.

GenevaJoey Sun 05-Jun-16 05:34:15

Thanks all. I may have risked it, if I'd had no signs, but actually I've had my bloody show in the night and some cramping, and wonder if this is the start of things? Not going to risk driving 30 mins from home and DH at this point, and it wouldn't be hygienic to swim anyway. Hey ho, we'll just see if it progresses today, and maybe review if nothing happens.

icklekid Sun 05-Jun-16 05:41:29

I hsd awful braxton hicks for a week before labour and drove. My waters went and hospital advised I go in again said fine for me to drive there and back. The following day when went back in established labour no I couldn't have driven. I would keep doing what you are. You will not fancy swimming in labour and will know about it with warning. Rarely do first labours go from nothing to unbearable every few minute contractions. Much slower build up...

icklekid Sun 05-Jun-16 05:42:19

Ohh cross post with your show. Good luck hope it is the start of something!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now