Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

27wks pregnant and think DD has chicken pox

(10 Posts)
Jenjen85 Sat 04-Jun-16 16:33:51

DD has 2 blisters that have appeared today,one on her head and one on her body. For the past couple of days she hasnt been herself tried and emotional. I had just put it down to the warm weather but now im thinking it might be the start of chicken pox. Im 27 + 3 and im wondering if i need to do anything? I have had chicken pox when i was little so does that make me immune or do i need to have a blood test to check?

dementedpixie Sat 04-Jun-16 16:37:29

If you have had it before then chances are you are immune. If you are worried I think they can check immunity for you. Both my kids have had it and as I had it when I was a child I never got it again (neither did dh)

aprilanne Sat 04-Jun-16 16:37:56

i would go get checked they can be dangerous to unborn babies and just because you have as a child does not guarantee amunity.i have had them about 8 times the docs told me my body just cannot build up an amunity to them .my youngest son had them at 2 days old because i had caught them again just before birth .

WhereTheFuckIsMyCunt Sat 04-Jun-16 16:47:21

If you've had it then you're immune.

WhereTheFuckIsMyCunt Sat 04-Jun-16 16:49:31

It's very, very rare to get chicken pox more than once.

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2562.aspx?CategoryID=200&

Locally if you're exposed to chicken pox when pregnant tne GP doesn't test for antibodies if you say you've had CP before.

Ilovewillow Sat 04-Jun-16 16:58:31

If you've already had it you should be fine but worth checking. I was exposed whilst pregnant and hadn't had CP so I was given a high dose jab which although doesn't stop you getting CP reduces its impact.

If you have midwife appointments, GP appointments though you need to tell them your child has it and you have been in contact as you could pass it to another pregnant woman.

Hope you're little one is ok!

Jenjen85 Sat 04-Jun-16 17:15:48

Iv got a GTT on monday at the hospital should i tell them before i have it? Im nit 100% it is chicken pox im guessing overnight more will appear if it is

WhereTheFuckIsMyCunt Sat 04-Jun-16 17:40:37

I think if you need the immunoglobulin then you only have five days from contact with an infectious person for them to work. And your dd will have been infectious for a while before the spots appeared.

They won't give you immunoglobulin without a blood test which will take 24-48 hrs for a result. Then they have to make up the immunoglobulin and get it to you. Our city hospital doesn't make it, it has to be made in a different city and couriered over which all adds time. Chances are you may be out of time by Monday.

PenguinWatch Sat 04-Jun-16 19:29:11

I'm 33 weeks and my DS is just recovering from it. I feel fortunate compared to a friend whose DD recently got it when their DD2 was 5 days old!

From what I researched, even where the mother hasnt had chicken pox, the chances of the baby bring infected in the womb are extremely low.

NewStartNewName Sat 04-Jun-16 21:09:35

Both DSs had chickenpox when I was pregnant with DS3 and I was told not to worry. I had it as a child also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now