Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

To 4D scan or not?

(7 Posts)
MrsTickleMonster Fri 03-Jun-16 17:26:43

I'm getting really close to the cut off for good a good 4D scan (from what I've read) but not sure whether to go for one or not. We DP don't want to know the gender so I was wondering whether it would be worth it, or will it spoil the surprise. I love the idea of seeing baby before it's here but wanted to seek out the wisdom of mn before I decide!

ShrimpNGrits Fri 03-Jun-16 17:44:08

I don't know whether or not to get one either. Although I do already know the sex, but its more whether or not it's worth the money for me I think.

Out of interest what is the cut off?

butterflylove16 Fri 03-Jun-16 18:00:45

We absolutely loved ours & it was definitely worth the money imo. For us it just helped everything to seem more real, & it's been lovely having the photos & video to look at. We could see her sucking her fingers, blowing bubbles, different movements & more. Also, it was really sweet to see that she looks quite like me which dh was very pleased about. Although I will say dd was pretty obviously dd on the scan! We already knew but I'm insure if it would be tricky of you don't want to know the sex?

Plantpot83 Fri 03-Jun-16 18:27:14

I didn't have a specific 4d scan but I had a wellbeing scan at 37.5 weeks and they gave me some 4d images.

The sonographer said that by the time I was having it it was very hard to get good shots because the baby was tucked in too tight. That didn't matter to us because we weren't there for that but I imagine that mid 20s -early 30 weeks would be best.

We didn't know the sex and didn't want to know. When I saw the pic of the face I thought that baby looked like a girl but everyone else we showed thought she was a boy so you can't necessarily tell, although I have other friends who have known as soon as they've seen the face.

Ultimately I'm pleased that we have the pics as a memento but not sure whether I would bother having a 4d scan if I were to have another baby. DD still came out differently to how I imagined so it certainly didn't spoil any surprise in that respect. If you have one I doubt that you'll regret it though.

Sorry for the rambling answer!

MrsTickleMonster Fri 03-Jun-16 18:32:03

Thanks Butterfly thats what im worried about, about whether we'll be able to tell from the face, but there was a thread on here the other day about people confusing babies in prams for the other gender so I'm not sure how much you can really tell from the face! 😂
Shrimp I've read a few different things, but most say before 30 weeks, definitely before 32, as baby can look a bit squashed by then and it can be hard to get a good pic. After 26/27 weeks is best as they still have a bit of space to move and they've put a bit of weight in so look a bit more like a 'proper baby' iyswim

MrsTickleMonster Fri 03-Jun-16 18:35:36

That's really helpful thanks Plantpot

DooBiddyDoo Fri 03-Jun-16 18:38:41

I has one last week. This is my last baby (we know the gender - a boy), so I felt like going for it considering I'll never have the chance again.

They do ask you beforehand if you want the gender hidden from you, or if you already know.

I personally recommend the scan as a bit of a novelty thing. It took a while to get him into the right position, but we got some good shots and all in all, I think it was worth the money. It was really nice to get a glimpse of what he is going to look like, see him hiccuping, yawning etc.mand dp and I have had lots of fun in the last week teasing each other about what he has inherited from which family members. In my case it also allowed my dp to enjoy a bit of the pregnancy with me, as you can see that there is actually an almost fully cooked baby in there too, and you're not just walking around with a big belly and memories of the 20 week scan pictures.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now