Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Low templates and strep b

(7 Posts)
Billi77 Fri 03-Jun-16 05:42:00

Anyone else with this particular double whammy? Or just one of them. Am 36 weeks and feel this isn't going to be such an easy ride after all...have the insomnia to prove it.

Out2pasture Fri 03-Jun-16 05:50:39

step b is rather common (25% of women have it) without showing any signs of "illness". it becomes a problem if the baby becomes infected, so expect a few doses of antibiotics to bring the infection to a very low level that would most likely not harm the baby, expect they will want you to let the staff know as soon as your membranes rupture and expect some IV antibiotics (but they don't need to leave the long IV drip tubing hooked up all the time only the little tiny cannula).

Billi77 Fri 03-Jun-16 11:53:30

Ok thanks. My concern isn't so much the IV as the thrush caused by antibiotics stripping baby of her gut flora. That coupled with possibility of general anaesthetic stands to make the first few weeks/months rockier than hoped for. Am picturing worse case scenarios to avoid disappointment ...

nicolasixx Fri 03-Jun-16 12:40:45

I fretted endlessly about gut flora; asked the paediatrician if baby should have probiotics etc. Consultant said the best possible thing you can do is breastfeed and nothing else required. My baby is now coming up a year; I had the IV and I haven't noticed any difference at all in establishing feeding or illness or anything like that. Good luck with the GA though

Billi77 Sat 04-Jun-16 00:22:30

Thanks smile

rodneydel Sat 04-Jun-16 09:06:06

I don't know what low templates is but I had strep b. I had all visions of having a restrictive birth, but it was ok. I had a cannula and every 3 hours was hooked up and given antibiotics. I obviously wasn't allowed a water birth but they allowed me to have a very long bath with my arm over the side. Dd also had extra monitoring after birth.

Billi77 Sat 04-Jun-16 12:57:15

My phone corrected platelets as templates. I guess platelets can have templates

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now